Stripping steps on my stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've used paint stripping gel to remove white paint from the steps of my stairs (still needs work but it's getting there)...

B8wzH75.jpg

The middle of the stairs were originally covered with carpet so as you can see from the pic the wood colouring is different, but I'd like to keep the steps in the light wood colour...any idea what I could do? Is there any way to do this or do I have to paint them, or varnish them a dark colour?

Sponsored Links
You could use wood bleach to lighten the centre , but are you leaving bare?

Thanks - the aim was to leave the whole thing bare, yes.

Would that work with wood bleach?

Sponsored Links
Yes. I've used it quite a few times to remove iron and other stains from timbers, particularly oak. You buy it as crystals and make it up to the required strength. Ideally pre sand the stairs to about 180 or 220 grit, dampen the timbers to raise the grain, allow to dry thoroughly (at least overnight), cut back once more with the sand paper and finally apply (remembering that whilst weakish this is still an acid so gloves, goggles and a mask are highly advisable). Make sure to blend in any drips, etc quickly to avoid uneven bleaching and leave to dry. This helps get a consistent result

Once dry if the bleaching is still insufficient the surface can be remanded (same grit) and bleached. Repeat until you are happy with the colour. Once you are done neutralise the z I'd with a very weak coat of something like caustic soda (and I emphasise VERY weak). Leave to dry and resand

Bleached too much? Then resand, neutralise (as above), sand again, and to e in using one or more coats of a water based wood dye, diluted as required. Multiple watered down coats to build to a colour are easier to control

And yes it really is apply, let dry then sand all the way through EXCEPT if when you need to re-use

Edited to add more detail

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back