Removing very tight stripped screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Been trying to remove two damaged screws/stripped screws from some wooden furniture (see photos below). As you can see, they are very badly damaged and rounded screws. Tried a number of things that I had read about- using an extractor drill bit, also the grabit extractor set, using a drill in reverse, trying to prise it out with different tools, attempt to turn (one of them which is showing a bit more) with long nose pliers- but nothing seems to budge the screws. Quite frustrating. They must be very tightly locked in.

Any other methods people can recommend would be great, or is it about the technique? with the drilling I am applying a bit of pressure and at a low speed setting but either way, it can't seem to grip onto the screw.

Thanks all.
IMG_20240228_085447.jpg
IMG_20240228_085500.jpg

Sponsored Links
What type of screw are they? Do you have a photo of another one showing the type of thread etc?

It looks like there's enough of the head protruding on one that vise grips would probably grip it. Or you could try using a hack saw to cut a slot on the head to use a flat screwdriver. Often the metal is too flimsy once you've slotted it tho so tread carefully if you try it.

Heat

A biggish soldering iron, applied to the head of the screw until you start to see smoke, will break the grip of the wood.

Then a left-handed drill, rotating anti-clockwise. It will probably wind the screw out, but if not, if you keep it straight and centered, it will drill the shaft of the screw away. A drill press or stand will keep it straight, if you can borrow or afford one.

Are you sure these are woodscrew, not some kind of bolt or fastener?

Why do you need to take them out?

Sponsored Links
It looks like there's enough of the head protruding on one that vise grips would probably grip it. Or you could try using a hack saw to cut a slot on the head to use a flat screwdriver. Often the metal is too flimsy once you've slotted it tho so tread carefully if you try it.

Thanks- I have tried quite a bit with vice grips and it doesn't quite have enough purchase to grip and move it. The idea of cutting a slot sounds like a good one though...

I also vote for a left handed drill bit, the more it bites in then the screw starts coming out.

are they in a position where you can drop in some baking powder and superglue - or is it vertical and so will just fall out
just an idea - seen done a few times
wont play here - so search on youtube for baking soda & superglue - should come up as a short

shorts/6YSCQQ5eykU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back