Stubborn screw removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently trying to remove some latch furniture from my garden gate, as it has warped over time.

There are a couple of screws that are corroded, stubborn to get out, and in doing so the screwdriver is slipping and rounding them off.

Can't get a purchase on the head with pliers.

My question is what are my options? I've been eyeing up some screw extractors on Amazon, but the reviews aren't glowing.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Drill the head off and hopefully there will be enough left to get some mole grips on.

Don't bother with screw extractors. After years in engineering, I've yet to come across a decent set.
As @Mottie says, use a drill to drill the heads off. This will sometimes leave a small stump of the thread projecting which you can grip with a pair of Mole grips and then undo the remaining screw. Like as not, it will probably shear off through corrosion, in which case you re-position your new furniture.

Sponsored Links
I think a pic or two would be good here, but maybe you could grind the screw heads away, remove the furniture and then reposition it?
John :)

PXL_20230629_114920990.jpg

The brass coloured ones are the ones I've managed to get out, the ones with grey paint on I can't remove.

I blasted them with WD40 to see if that frees them up at all.

Have you got an impact driver (not a hammer drill), on reverse they usually shift them.
Old school Pozidrive pound through (metal shaft goes through the handle to the top) screwdriver, hammer and turn at the same time, always worth trying to tighten first before trying to undo.
Last ditch remove other screws then lever the hardware off , repair hole with matchsticks and glue. (y)

Reactions: CBW
Left handed drill into the end if the impact driver or hammer-posidrive does not work.

As @footprints said.

I had owned an impact driver for a while but never used it.

I recently had to remove some wooden posts that were screwed to a 4.5" brick wall. I started off using my regular cordless drill, noticed that the heads were starting to cam out. I tried using a ratchet screwdriver, same problem.

The next day, I turned up with my impact driver. It worked on every single stubborn screw, with ease.

Impact drivers apply rotational "whacks" which help to shock the screw loose.

It is now my go to for awkward screws.

Nejisaurus screw removal pliers are quite good. Or the ones you can get out, remove those and a pry bar, or sometimes just pushing/pulling action to work loose can work.

Brick held behind to provide support, sharp tap on screwdriver handle with reasonable size hammer, then try to unscrew.

As @footprints said.

I had owned an impact driver for a while but never used it.

I recently had to remove some wooden posts that were screwed to a 4.5" brick wall. I started off using my regular cordless drill, noticed that the heads were starting to cam out. I tried using a ratchet screwdriver, same problem.

The next day, I turned up with my impact driver. It worked on every single stubborn screw, with ease.

Impact drivers apply rotational "whacks" which help to shock the screw loose.

It is now my go to for awkward screws.
Press hard on an Impact driver with light pressure on the trigger so it rattles more than it turns hardly fails for me.

Drill the head off and hopefully there will be enough left to get some mole grips on.
Yes - although you will probably struggle to drill into that very high tensile steel, you could just grind the head off. then mole grips on the stump - or just slightly reposition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back