Removing wallpaper and re papering behind a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hia,
I wonder if someone can help me?
I'm pricing up for a job which involves taking off wallpaper which is already peeling away behind about three small radiators.
I want to do a professional job but I'm not sure if I want to start tackling taking radiators off just yet.
Could anyone suggest their ideas for the best way to do a professional job. (Including any top tips for tools which will help me do the job without taking off the radiator)
Thanks in advance x x

Sponsored Links
If you have to do it with the rad in place it can be more time consuming and trouble but doable. I've had to do similiar in the past and a simply trick is to tape a scraper to a stick to reach behind after wetting the paper. Likewise if it involves any sanding glue a bit of sandpaper to a flexible stick. Repainting is relatively simple as radiator rollers are available at most sheds or merchants.

Are you a 'lady decorator'? Are you re-papering or painting?

I don't think there are many decorators of any sex that would want to try papering behind a rad :confused:

Sponsored Links
Don't even attempt to take them off yourself if you don't know what your doing, i won't touch them. Tell the client to get a plumber in, or build it into your quote and get a plumber you know to do it. If its a raised timber floor sometimes you can loosen the joints and lift the rad off its bracket and then lay it flat but you need enough give in the pipes to be able to do this.
If left in place set out your paper as best you can so that at least on one side the drop will meet the radiator close to the bracket. A mini extended roller is useful for pushing the paper down but before you do make your cuts before you feed it down. You dont have to run the paper all the way behind the rad you can cut a matching piece to go above the skirting. If any pipes run along below the rad loosen the clips off. TBH its not easy and removal is the best option.

Hia,
My first slightly nervous post - and a wealth of helpful information. Thanks so much everyone! :D
I'll get to it, with radiators still on. Phew, relief.
Purple x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back