Wallpaper behind radiator peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we redecorated last may & i removed the radiator to paper behind it. The wallpaper is the "superfresco" type that we painted silk emulsion over. Now it has started to come away from the wall. The wall is an exterior wall with no cavity as it is an old property,so i put some of the polystyrene veneer on before the wallpaper as the plaster is a bit dodgy & to help with heat loss. Here is a pic.

Is there any special paste that should be used for behind radiators?

Ooh, i should add that the wife puts things on it to dry after doing the washing, does this have any bearing on the problem?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I posted on here a couple of weeks ago asking about the same problem with a lined ceiling above a tall radiator. Some kind soul advised me to use PVA to re-stick the paper though I haven't got round to trying it yet.

Sponsored Links
Drying clothes on the rad is making it act like a wallpaper steamer!

if the pva doesn't have enough initial grip then caulk might but you need a flat edge to smooth it. You will have potential issues with the existing glue being re-activated by any moisture. In my experience the caulk will hold it down but will leave a slight step.

I agree that moist clothing is likely to have been the cause though. Perhaps you can paint zinsser BIN before applying another coat of emulsion. This will reduce the ability of the wet clothes to reactivate things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back