Polystyrene Wallpaper Backing -ARRRGGHHH!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys! My dad is decorating my bedroom, which being a dormer is prone to damp and condensation. When he last decorated my room, he put a layer of polystyrene wallpaper backing on the walls before he papered it in order to reduce condensation. However, the damp started to get through, so when he decorated it this time, he put another layer of polystyrene wallpaper backing on top of the existing stuff. However, when he came to putting the new wallpaper on top, it was fine for about a day, then it started peeling at the edges, taking the new sheets of polystyrene off with it! One sheet in particular has almost become detached from the whole wall!!!

Is there any way that my dad can secure the wallpaper and the new polystyrene?

And also, can all types of wallpaper be used with polystyrene backing?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the essay :)

Sponsored Links
Condensation is caused by warm air touching a cold surface. When we sleep we lose moisture in the night and if its been cold it will condense on the windows. Adequate airflow in the room and sufficient ventilation will help a lot. as its a dormer at the top of the house there should be sufficient insulation to keep the room warm.
The polystyrene helps but as its a soft surface it is difficult to get paper to stick properly. two skins of polystyrene is not really recomended. Your better using a ready mixed adhesive to put both the polystyrene and the top paper on it. Adding multiple layers is not helping the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back