Removing Wallpaper Paste Prior To Skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips on this operation? How do you go about it, and would you scratch up the surface before skimming after removing the paste? I'm referring to previously painted skimmed plasterboard here. And assuming the paint is sound enough to take a couple of skim coats.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I have used your PVA/bonding slurry technique on painted surfaces several times, even sound emulsioned surfaces, and must thank you retrospectively for this splendid tip. Creates a lovely surface for skimming! Although I have applied a final 3:1 ish pva coat and skimmed while tacky, I recently noticed you wrote this is unnecessary. (I think). However, I have never done this on a previously papered surface and was wondering about the paste removal itself. Is it obvious when you have got it all off? And does it matter if little bits are left or not, as I understand it affects curing times? Cheers for your input, it's much appreciated.

i believe that WBA can be used where there has been wallpaper, could be a simple fix for your problem.

WBA is good for stablizing friable surfaces too, pretty much sticks to anything and is a great surface for skimming, bit pricey that's all.

Sponsored Links
When i prep a wall for slurrying, that has previously been papered, i just use hot water, a sponge and a green scourer, and give it a good old rub over the wall, and that's it. Most, if not all of the paste would have been removed, and then the pva slurry is brushed on, and left to dry out, ready for plastering over. The same applies to removing old distempered/flaky surfaces. If i'm still not happy with a surface,, which is not very often, i'll seal/stabilize it in with inexpensive, "Berger's oil based undercoat",,, let that dry and then slurry onto the now new, sealed in, surface.

Roughcaster.

I'm not expecting to find a friable surface, although I haven't removed any paper yet, but that was pretty much what I was hoping to read. Thanks a lot gents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back