Removing window above interior door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some windows above our interior doors, which are looking a little dated and I'd like to blank them off so I can put coving up.

I'm thinking I could do the following, but would appreciate your comments...

So I'd remove the glass & wood frame above the red line (as indicated) put in a new piece of wood for the top of the door frame and plasterboard the empty space (not sure how yet), then skim over with plaster and add architrave?

Note: the existing walls are brick.

Sponsored Links
Remove all architrave, remove glass, fit timber frame 15mm short of each side and fill with 12mm plasterboard then 3mm skim, replace architrave.

The door frame in question is a storey frame (for those interested in this sort of thing) and provided both borrowed light and ventilation through a gap between the bottom of the glass and the frame.
I notice that the top and left hand facings/architraves are quadrant bead, therefore you might want to discard them. The gap around these and the door frame edge could subsequently be decreased to a more modest 3mm or there about almost up to the hinge leaf, the left hand one will require to be scribed to the shape of the wall. This should give a more modern and pleasing look. Both plasterboard and top framing have already been admirably described.

Good luck...pinenot :)

Thank you for your comments, both really useful.

I'm not sure I follow pinenot regarding the removal of the quadrant?
I do think it looks odd with quadrant and architrave, but if it is removed will it not look strange that there is architrave only on the top & right?

How would you you propose I go about reducing the left side down to 3mm?
Sorry, just trying to picture it :)

Sponsored Links
I understand, here's a sketch that will hopefully help

View media item 57060
As you are probably aware, the top quadrant bead will have to be replaced anyway, and my thinking was by replacing the left one with a scribed facing at the same time, would look much better...pinenot :)

If the door is a 30" type you might consider reducing to 27" if you are keen to have all round architrave.

Thanks for the sketch. I understand what you are saying now. I'll have a measure up and see what I can do.

Foxhole, good idea. I'll measure the door size. I will be putting a bi-fold door on one of the rooms, so that may be an option.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back