Removing wired thermostat for Drayton Wiser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I appreciate this question has been asked many times, but just needed to ensure what I’m doing before I go ahead is correct and run it by the experts.

I put in a Honeywell TR6 unit with it’s corresponding receiver last year, but doesn’t have the flexibility I now require.
i would like to remove the receiver entirely and replace with the new Drayton wiser.

i understand I need to bridge the connections after removing existing wiring at the junction box. I’ve taken a few pics of existing writing which should hopefully give an idea of my setup.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I can't see the wiring in the Honeywell receiver clearly. Is the brown wire in the right hand (L) terminal connected to (A) next to it with a link wire?

Also, is the other end of the yellow wire in Honeywell (A) connected to terminal (2) in the wiring centre marked roomstat call?

I can't see the wiring in the Honeywell receiver clearly. Is the brown wire in the right hand (L) terminal connected to (A) next to it with a link wire?

Also, is the other end of the yellow wire in Honeywell (A) connected to terminal (2) in the wiring centre marked roomstat call?

Hi @stem,

In answer to your questions...

- yes, the brown wire at the receiver is a link (I realised that pic might cause a bit of confusion as its not entirley clear)

- yes, the other end of the yellow wire (B) is connected to terminal (2).

Last edited:
Do you know where the red wire in L at the Honeywell is supplied from? By that I mean is it connected to a permanent live, or is the live switched on / off via the central heating channel of the Drayton programmer.

P.S I like your avatar BTW

Sponsored Links
I'll be honest, I'm not sure. I can test this when I reach home later today.

I will double check the other items you queried too.

I usually have the Drayton timer set to permanently on for CH (the Honeywell TR6 handles the programming) and timed for HW.

The Honeywell TR6 Thermostat module will trigger this receiver when the temperature is set from that. (I've attached a pic.)

Thanks for responding quickly.

As for the avatar... Ahh! Cheers! I'm a converted trail runner - much prefer it to road running :)

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Hi @stem , After some checking I have diagnosed the following:

Definitley SW live (red) at the receiver (Honeywell) end in (L)

I was wrong about the yellow wire in (2) at the main wiring box. There's two pairs (red / yellow). One pair coming from hallway (Honeywell receiver) and one pair from the programmer (LP241) next to boiler.

• Yellow for Heating ON (8) - which doesn't correspond with the diagram on inside of box
  • Yellow for HW ON (10)

...and both corresponding switched lives into 7

So, I'm guessing I need to bridge 7-8? (and determine which SW L is which in (7) programmer or receiver??)

P.S. I'm comtemplating doing a run up in Nottingham (partners family lives West Bridgford).

I thought the wiring centre was a bit of a 'hybrid' when I looked at it, hence the questions. I had expected to see the two room thermostat wires originating from the wiring centre terminals (2) & (3) Room Stat 'Call' & 'Com'

So instead, if they are the yellow wire in (8) and red wire in (7), then you are right, those wires would be removed and a bridge inserted between the two terminals. [Or, as you would be left with a single red in 7 and a single brown in 8, you could just put them both in the same terminal]

The Wiser 2-Channel replaces the Drayton LP241, and they have identical connections, so that should be easy.

LP241
LP.JPG

Wiser
Wiser.JPG

I'm at the North side of the city and able to run from my home around the grounds of Newstead Abbey (Lord Byron's ancestral home) which is a mixture of road and trail. I do prefer trail running though, so tend to head just a bit further north into Derbyshire when I get the chance.

I thought the wiring centre was a bit of a 'hybrid' when I looked at it, hence the questions. I had expected to see the two room thermostat wires originating from the wiring centre terminals (2) & (3) Room Stat 'Call' & 'Com'

So instead, if they are the yellow wire in (8) and red wire in (7), then you are right, those wires would be removed and a bridge inserted between the two terminals. [Or, as you would be left with a single red in 7 and a single brown in 8, you could just put them both in the same terminal]

All sorted, thanks so much!

Did exactly that [bold].

Happy running!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back