Removing wiring for underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to remove the wiring and controls for my bathroom underfloor heating, which hasn't worked for years. They are on the wall outside the bathroom.

I don't 100% understand how all this works, or how the heating controller links with the one for the bathroom towel rail, which I plan to keep.

As can be seen in the above pic, there are three different items on the wall: (1) the on/off switch for the towel rail (bottom right), (2) a fused RCD spur unit (bottom left), and a thermostatic controller for the underfloor heating (top). I've taken the front cover off the thermostatic controller.

Close-ups of the three items:

If I'm going to try this myself, I need to know what I can remove, and what needs to stay to keep the towel rail working. Is the RCD unit needed for that? I'd guess not, because the towel rail works regardless of whether the RCD is on or off.

If the RCD unit can be removed, I'd need to deal with the wires that go into it - some of which go into the wall (presumably to the underfloor heating) and others that appear to go into the towel rail switch. What would I need to do with these?

Does this sound like the kind of job a novice like me should attempt, or should I get a professional in?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It shouldn’t be too difficult, once you’ve worked out what is connected to what.
Turn off the power, unscrew each of the items and post photos of what’s inside. There must be some additional cables that go into the walls.

It does sound then that the towel rail may not be RCD protected. It should be.
may be worth keeping the RCD for now while you investigate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back