Removing wood chip wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have spent nearly all my spare time removing wood chip wall paper in our new house. A couple of questions:

1. Some of it comes off very easily, I mean you get a bit up and it is almost like there is a layer of air underneath and it just peels off in large sheets, I found this on walls where there was new plaster behind (Almost like there was a lining paper down) and also on some walls where there had possibly been some damp previously. Why does it come off so easily sometimes and other times it feels like it was put on by demons! : ) It seemed like there was a lining paper sometimes when it comes off nicely. Other times the lining paper seems to stay behind.

Which leads me onto...

2. How far back do I need to go? The house was build in 1900 and some of the walls seem in pretty good condition however some of the plaster is blown in places so I'm prepared to re-plaster those areas but for the purposes of skimming a pretty decent wall if I put a bonding agent on before the plasterer turns up but there is remnants of the lining paper on there (But the wall has been sanded) will this be sufficient?

Also to note I have been using sanding blocks to get the walls as smooth as possible. If I need to take every little bit of the old old paper off I am prepared to but I want to try and avoid that as it smacks of needle in haystack kind of activity : )

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't think leaving bits of paper in place before re-skimming is a good idea.

The secret of success with stripping wallpaper is water, more water and patience...wet it thoroughly with a sponge, wait 10 mins then repeat the wetting, wait another 10 mins and see how easily it comes off with a wide-bladed stripper. If it's still hard work, wet it again. If you leave it more than about 15 mins it will dry out again, so keep wetting.

If all else fails, use a steam stripper. But be careful with old plaster, as it can damage it.

I don't think leaving bits of paper in place before re-skimming is a good idea.

The secret of success with stripping wallpaper is water, more water and patience...wet it thoroughly with a sponge, wait 10 mins then repeat the wetting, wait another 10 mins and see how easily it comes off with a wide-bladed stripper. If it's still hard work, wet it again. If you leave it more than about 15 mins it will dry out again, so keep wetting.

If all else fails, use a steam stripper. But be careful with old plaster, as it can damage it.

Thanks for the advice. We've been using a garden sprayer and using a formula of vinegar and cleaning fluid to break down the glue. It's worked a treat so for. We've avoided a steamer just because of the damage they can cause.

Sponsored Links
oh balls to that! score or break up the paper, get a steamer set it going, seal the room leave it for an hour, top up leave it again for an hour. It'll come off very easily, hopefully the plaster will survive.

oh balls to that! score or break up the paper, get a steamer set it going, seal the room leave it for an hour, top up leave it again for an hour. It'll come off very easily, hopefully the plaster will survive.

Ha! Unconventional, but worth a try, if only in one's own home*. Not sure what my customers would think if I set a steam stripper going then beggared off for an hour!

(* But only in a room with no carpet, curtains, or furniture, needless to say!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back