DIY Novice Awkward Wall preperation for wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I don't do a lot of decorating and need some advice.
I have stripped the old embossed painted wallpaper off my living room walls and i am planning on re-papering.
The problem is that one of the walls is a kind of wooden (almost MDF looking) another is plaster board and another is concrete... strange i know!
All three of these walls are causing issues when it comes to getting every bit of old backing paper off.
As i try and remove backing paper from the wooden wall it takes strips of the wood covering off... The concrete wall has loads and loads of little holes in if i take the remaining backing paper off and the plaster board outer layer peels off when i try and remove the backing paper.

I know the best wall prep is to strip it all off and patch up etc.. but im planning to use a high grade lining paper and seem to be making my walls even more bumpy by trying to get the backing paper off.
Would i be ok to just go ahead and put my lining paper up and leave the backing paper thats left up?
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have stripped the top textured layer and are left with the thin backing paper is that right?

If so just soak the paper with a hand spray from a garden/diy store or a sponge.

Walk away for 15 mins have a cuppa or whatever floats your boat wet again and another cuppa, wet again and another cuppa, again and again (maybe a trip to the bathroom too by then :D) until the paper simply pulls off the wall without the need of a stripping knife other than to lift an edge.

Keep at it, it will work in the end, unless your paper was hung with evo-stick! Otherwise as you have found the scraper makes a mess of the wall.

Wallrock Fibreliner is very good for poor walls. Google it and have a read up dearer than normal but good stuff.

EDIT
The only one to go a bit easy on with the water is the plasterboard if it is not skimmed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back