Removing wood stain and restoring fire surround?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hello everyone......I'm new to the forum.....be gentle!!!

I recently moved into a new house and the existing fireplace that was left behind is reasonably pleasant and suits the room. However, it has been dyed an almost Mahogany colour. The natural wood underneath is similar to oak colour [although I doubt the wood is actually oak as it is much rougher to the touch].

I took the fire place apart to wallpaper and noticed that the original wood is far more attractive and is in keeping with the oak furniture we have in the house.

However, I've never stripped/removed wood stain from wood before and was wondering the best process. I appreciate that I may struggle to take it all the way back to its original colour, but I should be able to take it considerably lighter shouldn't I?

I have added photos below to show you the wood and what I am talking about.

I have also tried to sand an area of the wood to see how much stain could be removed simply by using that method. It has taken away the stain but as the wood is quite rough it has just sanded the area that is most raised and in the recesses of the wood the stain remains so it looks very 'speckled' at the moment in that area.

Below is where the uprights attached to the top of the mantle and you can see where the previous owners have stained the wood around where the upright was in place.

d67f83be-d6da-4e00-a0bd-097b08ca60e3_zps6e6317c5.jpg

This just shows how the stain has penetrated into the wood at the end of the upright.

9e236945-2e5a-46b8-bfa2-89deefe47b05_zpse27cf885.jpg

This gives you an idea of the roughness of the wood and the colour of the stain used, its also potentially the most awkward area to try and resolve.

e671995f-4d76-4493-ab4a-c52209088736_zpsbb1a5964.jpg

This is the area I have tested by sanding.

36fad215-4d6a-4975-86f4-66248e83e4f4_zps27dea144.jpg

and a close up of that same area....

56487b22-d906-44c6-96a7-5de4326be3ed_zpsa8389fbc.jpg

I would be very grateful for any help or guidance.

Can this even be done? or should I just accept it is the way it is?

Many thanks

MerseyLad

Sponsored Links
The grain looks like pine that has been stained. If you use a much finer sandpaper you can smooth the surface. I would suggest a Ronson wood dye to give the colour you want, followed by ckear satin varnish.

Sponsored Links
coarse paper to rub the stain off, then fine to smooth the surface.

If it is a bit wooly after, wipe with a damp cloth to raise the grain, then, when dry, lightly sand with extra-fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back