removing woodchip: will scoring damage the walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a new apartment and unfortunately every single room is is covered in woodchip (with many layers of paint on top). This weekend I am attempting to remove it.

I have read a few good post about how to remove woodchip (wet, steam, score) but am worried about the scoring the walls as the house was built in 1890 and the walls underneath aren't in great condition.

Is there anyway I can prevent from damaging the walls further? someone recommended a strong paint stripper first.

Sponsored Links
You could trying hiring a 'hedgehog'...its two wheels on a pole that perforate the wall...they are only cheap for the weekend

Best way is angle head scraper to chop the chips off and even strips of paper, then loads of water and detergent with a roller. Keep going over and over it then leave it for an hour and go back again. Keep doing this on and off for a few hours and it'll peel off easy. Need 150 mm angle head scraper from B&Q about a fiver. Dead sharp blade - like razor blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back