Renault and Peugeot reliability

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking of changing my car to a year old Renault Grand Scenic or a Peugeot 407SW. I like them both but the two companies did really badly in the JD Power survey and there seem to be a lot of problems reported.

I guess dissatisfied customers are a lot more vocal than satisfied ones, so I was wondering if anyone out there, especially the mechanics, had any opinion on whether these models are okay?

Last thing I need is to pay a lot of money for a car that doesn't work!

PETE

Sponsored Links
The JD Power survey is a fair pointer to customer satisfaction.

Most cars today have more than 1 year factory warranty, so I would expect that either car you look at would still be within warranty? Just get assurance from the dealer that the warranty is still intact (have ALL the services been done on time).

If you are buying privately. Look for the actual invoices (anyone can stamp a service book). A private sale should be significantly cheaper, so allow in the cost for a qualified inspection before you buy.

Oh, god, don't buy a French car, they're designed to last about 5 years, then everything starts falling off.

Sponsored Links
The electrics or more specifically the electronics can be troublesome. Immobiliser and plip/ electronic keys are expensive and no one really seems to know how to fix them. Had to 'wipe' my 406 hdi immobiliser so that now it hasn't got one, looking at £1000 for a new one plus programming it in. Espace immobiliser has ariel where ignition key fits, took trim off, the aerial, copper wire wound in a coil, fell apart,
£74 please. There seems to be problems with the diesel pollution control thing on pugs which puts a dose of something into the fuel. When these are refilled, itself expensive, the Ecu can have running problems and goes into limp home mode. Cures for any electronic fault seems to be by part replacement until the fault goes away. Plugging into the computer to find out whats wrong is expensive at main dealers and then they don't seem to know how to cure the problem.
Mechanically the diesel engines seem to flog on for ever if you change the oil and filter regularly. The tdi injectors are expensive £200+ each.
Rubber door trims not very robust, catch the one on a 406 door well and it rips straight off, flimsy plastic retaining clips.
If you're buying new run it for 3 years then get shot.

I had one of the new shape Grand Espace sheds for 2.5 yrs.

Pitiful reliability. I won't bore you with a list but needless to say I was well shut of it before the warranty was up! :evil:

The dealer network is diabolical as well!! :evil:

Will NEVER touch another modern Renault.

Having said that my old s reg trusty Kangoo van keeps on going faithfully. :p

Back in a Subaru for now. Drinks fuel a bit but it doesn't go wrong AT ALL.

My Clio is now 8 years old, bought from new, more and more bits are falling off it, trouble they are starting to get bigger and oilier bits. I think I'll either drive it into the ground (not long now surely) or trade it in, I must say generally its been reasonably reliable.

When I first got it, it seemed quite nimble and great cornerning, but is all seems to have slowed down and the cornering feels stodgy now (Obviously this has nothing to do with my second car, and Audi S4), plus as I said, bits and pieces keep falling off. For instance the drivers electric window is on its 3rd motor.

Previously I had a Peugeot, my god, what wasn't wrong with that car, the electrics went absolutely haywire, and the ABS system had a particularly nasty habit of releasing the brakes as you were edging up to standing traffic :eek:

For a short time, I drove a wide variety of Renault products as a fleet delivery driver. They did seem to have more faults on new cars than others I drove.

However, a few years ago Renault did have a mojor push on quality, and I think that new products from Renault are now much better than they were 5 years ago.

However, the cars that come top in the JD Power survey do so because they give better customer satisfaction.

Sponsored Links
Back