Renault Clio Privilage (2001) Immobiliser / Key Fob Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a problem with my Renault Clio which is has been getting steadily worse over the last few weeks, which is either to do with the immobiliser or the key fob.

Basically when I put the key in the ignition and try and start the engine, the immobiliser light in the middle of the dashboard flashes and the engine won't start, as in, it does absolutely nothing. After a couple of attempt the engine turns over but won't start. Sometimes it takes ages to get it going and I've had to go away and return to the car after leaving it for ten minutes or so before trying again on a couple of occasions.

For a few days, it started first time, without fail, if I put the key in with the rounded bit on the bottom, then that didn't work. Now it usually starts if I take the key out, turnthe key over (whichever way it was to start with) and try the other way up, which is kind of bizarre. But I'm worried that eventually even this trick won't work.

However as with the worse electronics problems on cars, it's still intermittant. Yesterday I started the car three times, and it started first time on every occasion, without any faffing around with turning the key the other way up.

I've had a lot of problems with the electronics on the car, which was basicallly re-wired with a new wiring loom a couple of years ago, and I also have an intermittant problem with the oil sensor telling me I'm out of oil, which on every occasion I've checked and found was still adequately topped up.

Is this likely to be the immobiliser itself or something as mundane as the battery in the key fob getting low? Bearing in mind I only got one key when I bought the car, so sending it away to be re-coded or anything like that is not a preferable option. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would try changing the battery in the keyfob first, but do it well out of range of the car, the fob should not need to be reprogramed after a battery change, make sure you get the polarity of the battery right, or you may have problems.

Wotan

I cannot remember if the clio has a passive chip in the key I think it does.
You can purchase an ecu with no immobiliser in it or
I used to work for this company

the programme will give you a 4 digit emergency immobiliser override code, you have to open the doors with the key, and you can put your code in every time you start your car to override the immobiliser so you can at least drive your car untill you find out what the problem is.

If you do a search for "test for renault key/immobiliser failures (emergency recode)" . The page should have BBA-reman at the top. There is a section for you to download.
BBA website said:
Download Renault Key/Immobiliser Test Kit
Unzip Password is "reman".

When you have the 4 digit emergency
1- hold central locking button down red immo light flashes slowly count number of 1st digit of immo code and release.
2- hold down central locking button and count 2nd digit and release
3- repeat for 3rd and 4th digits
4- when all numbers entered, ignition off and hold down central locking button immo lights remains constant, press key on/off quickly towards interior mirror. Hopefully plip will resynch.
Once immo light starts flashing -ign on/off and hold c/l button down again until red light remains constant and try again,may take a few goes.

The aerial around the ignition is not reading the transponder chip, which is why you have to turn the key over. These keys also suffer from a build up of static within the key. Scrape the key lightly on the ground, and then switch on the ignition. Wait for the red dot to go out before attempting to start the engine. Sometimes you can be too quick for the immobiliser.

Sponsored Links
The aerial around the ignition is not reading the transponder chip, which is why you have to turn the key over. These keys also suffer from a build up of static within the key. Scrape the key lightly on the ground, and then switch on the ignition. Wait for the red dot to go out before attempting to start the engine. Sometimes you can be too quick for the immobiliser.

Excellent post and bang on, jetex ;)
Never considered earthing the key out that way though!
John :)

40 years in the motor trade mate, 30 spent out on the road doing breakdowns ;)

Thanks for all the replies. The upshot of this was that I now have a new key fob (and sharp pains in the wallet - £147.50 for the fob and the programming thereof) and all seems fine now. Fortunately the local Renault dealer had one in stock so I had to wait only 45 minutes, as opposed to coming back in a week if they'd had to order one in. They tested the old one and the reaction was "it's dead Jim", or words similar.

The stupid thing is that on Monday, when I took the car to the dealer, I had to start the car 3 times before I took it away with the new key fob. The car started perfectly, first time, every time. :confused:
:rolleyes:

Hopefully that's the last problem for a while. (*Crosses fingers and prays to god!*) Thanks again for your replies.

One point could be, is the car key on a fob with a load of other items attached to it? A keyfob, could disrupt the key.

Try the key on it's own, with nothing attached to the keyfob, if not already doing that, just a suggestion.

I HAVE A CLIO THAT HAS THE SAME IGNITION FAULT AND GOT A NEW FOB KEY AND PROGRAMED TO THE TRANSPONDER AND FOR A WEEK IT WORKED FINE, NOW THE PROBLEM HAS REAPPEARED AFTER SPENDING £174,00. its A RIP OFF. THEY SHOULD PUT THE OLD IGNITIONS BACK IN CARS FOR US DIY TYPES.

I HAVE A CLIO THAT HAS THE SAME IGNITION FAULT AND GOT A NEW FOB KEY AND PROGRAMED TO THE TRANSPONDER AND FOR A WEEK IT WORKED FINE, NOW THE PROBLEM HAS REAPPEARED AFTER SPENDING £174,00. its A RIP OFF. THEY SHOULD PUT THE OLD IGNITIONS BACK IN CARS FOR US DIY TYPES.
Please type in lower case, there is no need to shout.

You can get the immobilizer removed from the ECU if required

Just go back to Renault or whoever, mate.....any work like this has to be warrantied.
John :)

Here something you all should try if your having the red immobiliser flashing when trying to start your clio.
Take the little circuit board out of your key fob and hold it to the plastic above where the key goes in. Its a little bit arkward but turn the key whilst holding the pcb against the plastic and VOILA!!
hope this helps some peeps out before you empty your wallets :))

Hi. I had the same problem, the immobilizer light stayed on solid, and the fob would not work at all. I tried all the things on here to no avail. I then spoke to a friend of mine who was a mechanic, he said to put the key in the ignition, turn it until the lights come on and then disconnect the battery. Leave it for 10 minutes and then reconnect. Turn the key off and then try to start. Worked for me first time. Hope it will for you too

Hi. I had the same problem, the immobilizer light stayed on solid, and the fob would not work at all. I tried all the things on here to no avail. I then spoke to a friend of mine who was a mechanic, he said to put the key in the ignition, turn it until the lights come on and then disconnect the battery. Leave it for 10 minutes and then reconnect. Turn the key off and then try to start. Worked for me first time. Hope it will for you too
Do you mean the fob battery or the big engine battery, i have the same trouble

Sponsored Links
Back