Renault megane estate dci mk3 1.5 wiring loom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone advise on this please , have the above car and i open the tailgate alot as im a window cleaner.Can i do this myself or any advise on cost at a garage plz.Basically need a new tailgate wiring loom as ive managed to join all wires together with a terminal block but only matter of time before it goes again.im not really a good diyer so it has to be simple to do if i was to do it .

Attachments

• 20210704_170720.jpg
    20210704_170720.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 20210704_170733.jpg
    20210704_170733.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 184
Sponsored Links
Don't be hard on yourself, I think you have done a good job, you could get an auto election to solder the wires but I would see how you go.

WELL Done! (y)

Andy

Barrel crimps would be little smaller, but will still increase the stress on the wires at an already high stress point. A better repair would be to replace the wires with new, moving the joints to where there is no movement. Basically two separate joints, in each wire - like this....

-------------joint--------hinge--------joint-----------

Space the joints out in each wire, so they are not all in the same place - the wire colour for the section you splice in, will not matter.

Ideally, a 'superflex' wire is needed for this....being more multistranded than normal stuff it is less likely to fracture with movement.
For a proper repair, the auto electrician will put an extra 50mm length of wire into each fractured length, soldered in place and covered with heat shrink tubing. The joins are put into a non moving area and the new wire takes care of the flexing.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ideally, a 'superflex' wire is needed for this....being more multistranded than normal stuff it is less likely to fracture with movement.
For a proper repair, the auto electrician will put an extra 50mm length of wire into each fractured length, soldered in place and covered with heat shrink tubing. The joins are put into a non moving area and the new wire takes care of the flexing.

Forming the loom of cables into a twist or spiral can help make them less liable to fracture, where they need to bend a lot.

That's true.
The wire I use for this sort of repair is the same stuff used for the probe cables on multimeters but unfortunately I can't remember where I got it from.

I use silicone cable for this job, last one I did was the hinge wires on an alfa giulietta. I ordered it from amazon but there's plenty of other places

So there isnt a simple fix by a garage then of rip these wires totally out and put a whole part in connector to connector? . Im assuming they havent made it as easy as that . What i failed to mention is the left hand brake light isnt working and neither was the parking sensors . The parking sensors now are fine but the brake light is still out and no its not the bulb lol. I think these wires have become so brittle there must be a break elsewhere that i cant see . Im no electrician so think im going to have to take it in .i was just wondering if there was a proper kit for this and an easy fix as it seems an obvious place for wires to fail .

Thanks for replies

Im no electrician so think im going to have to take it in .

You are doing just fine, carry on.

The parking sensors now are fine but the brake light is still out and no its not the bulb lol.
If it's that high level brake like, then probably you have missed a break in the brake light's wire. There is unlikely to be a proper kit, but what there will be is probably a complete tailgate loom. Fitting that, would expensive, involve running the wires to each item in the tailgate and is largely unnecessary.

Start (again) by making a note of the wire colours and what each one does. Make up a short loom including enough wires, mark each end to match you noted colours, twist them into a tight bundle and tape them so the twist stays put. Ensure your joints are well away from where the hinge is, you might be able to push the surplus wire and joint up into the head lining at the car end and down into the tailgate structure at other end. What you need to carefully avoid, is the wires have to flex close to where your joints are.

Your joints are best soldered and with heat-sleeving for insulation, but at a pinch insulation tape can be used. You could even use crimp joints, but proper ones not the ones they sell in car shops, or as you have done - choc-block connectors if there is room.

With choc-blocks, you might find it easier/ more reliable - to strip and twist the bare wires together and insert both wires into the same end of the choc-block. So long as no bare wires poke of of the choc-block.

What i failed to mention is the left hand brake light isnt working and neither was the parking sensors . The parking sensors now are fine but the brake light is still out and no its not the bulb lol.
It’s not the actual bulb holder/connection is it - are you getting a feed to the lamp? Whenever I’ve had that problem in the past, I’ve just ended up running a wire from one brake light to the other.

Sponsored Links
Back