render bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read various good advice about 4 -1 sharp sand/cement +feb for internal brick , and also rapidset floortile for bathroom breezeblock (before tiling over).

But how to prep the walls in both cases?
pva or not (why would it be necessary in both cases if walls have been washed clean and are not dusty?) also how much water to dampen walls b4 rendering, -a full on hosepipe soaking or jet from spraygun?
b/

Sponsored Links
Hi banana,

No PVA, just a wetting down. Probably no need for a full on hose down - as long as the bricks are damp then you'll be fine but a spraygun may not get enough water on the wall. You'll find the blockwork sucks the water in rapidly. You basically wat it so that it's not sucking it in so fast. Wet a small patch and see what it does - you'll see what I mean but there's no hard and fast rule as to how much water is needed - different surfaces act differently.

Regards

Fred

Banana,

As Fred says, The amount of water required will vary. I use an hose pipe if theres one around.

Give it a good soak mate, then leave it for 10 mins before you start.

There is a basic video on This site that shows applying the final coat. It may help a little.
There are a couple of media player files you can watch.

Good luck mate.

Oh forgot to say, dont forget the lime in your mix.

4:1:1 for scratch then 5:1:1 for your top coat

should look something like this when you have finished.

scratch.jpg

wall3.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back