Render going green around house corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, before i get tradespeople in, can anyone give me a clue as to what might cause this green staining to our cream first floor render, around both north west and southwest corners of house? Others houses in street don't seem affected, and i am not aware of any gutter leaks from above.

Is it a mould or fungus, or something (gulp) worse please? I'm terrible with ladders, and am too nervous to climb up to check whether it's loose. It doesnt look it, but then the previous owner was an amateur DIYer, so perhaps the paint was either badly applied or wrong?

We had the back of the house repaired and painted costing us £700 for the upper floor plus gable end, reluctant to spend as much on front, to then find that perhaps the sides need doing shortly after :(

Many thanks oh wise people of diynot :)

Sorry the photo is on its side.

Sponsored Links
Hard to say from a photo, but I would guess it's alge because that portion of the wall is damp (due to the wind direction) and at the right temperature for it to grow.

If the timbered bit is a porch or similar it might be possible to reach the area above with a long soft broom (wear some eye protection) and try a little diluted bleach on a bit and then rinse with water to see if it comes off. I doubt it's a real problem mostly cosmetic.

Areas of roofs often get moss lichen etc depending on the situation.

I assume the inside shows no sign of damp.

Thanks footprints.

The former flatroof in the picture did have a lot of what i thought was moss growing on it, plus next door's garage fascia board, but none of the other houses with render have the green staining.

There is no sign of damp inside.

I'll invest in a telescopic brush and like you suggest try cleaning it with bleach, and yes, suitable protection ;) Hopefully bleach won't discolour thr cream render? Perhaps mould cleaner might be better, although that's probably just diluted bleach?

My problems are small-fry compared to those in floodrisk areas.

Cheers

As they always say on the tin "Try a small area first" :D :D :D
I suspect diluted bleach would be OK, but a mould remover which might be a fungicide or bleach product is worth trying as well. I just figured most people have a bottle of bleach around the house. ;)

Best wishes,
footprints

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back