Render/Mock tudor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Opera Snapshot_2022-11-21_100814_www.google.com (2).png

Our house has a rendered area and fake Tudor cladding (real timber) as per the picture.

A couple of questions please, I want to remove the nasty timber and just leave/replace the render. I am guessing that once the timber is removed the render could be repaired/painted, or would it be better to chip off the existing render and start again?

If we can find a contractor to sort out the render would they be likely to be ok with taking off the timber or would they expect the timber to be removed before they got involved?

Next question, I am looking ideally for minimum on-going maintenance so in order to avoid future painting should we go for K-rend or similar? I keep hearing conflicting stories about K-rend with reports that it is likely to stain over a period of time and would ultimately require painting thus negating the advantage of using it in the first place.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
Get a builder to quote for the whole job, the boards will be fixed to blocks. It may just be me but I like the mock tudor look, if you're concerned about rotting timber replace the boards with pvc.

Blup

Thanks for the reply. I suppose the jury is out a bit on the whole Tudor thing, I am less keen on it than my Wife. Either way there are areas around where the vertical beams join the horizontal that are starting to rot so those would need repairing if it was to stay.

Would you say that a general builder would be the man for that or do we really need a joiner/carpenter?

Try both a general builder and carpenter/plasterer, because it involves a range of skills

Blup

Sponsored Links
op,
take the whole lot off - render and boards - dont try & patch anything in.
When your back to masonry you'll have a choice of K-rend or whatever (you have a smooth, floated render finish at the moment).

Use plastic Bell Casts, Angle Beads & Stop Beads with the new render.
If you go for a traditional smooth render then use a 4:1 sand & lime mix.

Is the horizontal base board/beam rotting or is it sound?

op,
take the whole lot off - render and boards - dont try & patch anything in.
When your back to masonry you'll have a choice of K-rend or whatever (you have a smooth, floated render finish at the moment).

Use plastic Bell Casts, Angle Beads & Stop Beads with the new render.
If you go for a traditional smooth render then use a 4:1 sand & lime mix.

Is the horizontal base board/beam rotting or is it sound?
Thanks for the reply, I think that you can just about see that there is an area of rot on the photo - if you look at the base of the first vertical board on the left (not counting the corner upright) you can see where the vertical board joins the bottom horizontal that there is a patch of rotten timber.

There is probably more rot than just that patch but that area is easily seen from ground level.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose the jury is out a bit on the whole Tudor thing, I am less keen on it than my Wife.
it works on some houses, I dont think its terribly well executed on your house -which I think would look better plain render

Eternit cladding might look nice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back