Render on a damp house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at buying a 1930s semi. Its all wet and damp and I would plan to fix roof and rising damp.

But the render is all cracked all over the exterior, i suspect this is causing more damp? What would be required fill in the cracks and re paint or does it need re rendering? if so does the old render have to be removed first?

Any ideas on cost would also be appreciated - Pics attached in album //www.diynot.com/network/James204/albums/

Thank you View media item 75542 View media item 75554 View media item 75556 View media item 75555

Sponsored Links
If you Search on here, you will find plenty of advised solutions (some with pics) to similar questions.

However, the possibility is that the render will have to come off back to brickwork. Note that there are many modern synthetic and insulated render applications now available.
It appears to be a 1930's house and previous render repairs are apparent in the pics.
There are also cracks in the render, running from corners of the window openings.
If the render is removed you will probably find that there are penetrating cracks in the brickwork that present internally.

In pics 2 and 3 the comfortable eaves soffit is not present at the rear elevation, this lack of a soffit is, i think, allowing water to wash down the wall.

All door and window frames will require drip-hoods to be installed above the frame heads to throw off water - some already have some lead flashing acting as drip-hoods.

Do remove that ridiculous decorative bit of jagged lead flashing on the front door porch - replace with ordinary square cut lead flashing.

Internal (damaged) plaster will have to be removed back to brickwork before any crack assessment can be made.

If you do buy the house then come back to this site for the Building Forum for advice on other damp issues, and the Roofing forum for roofing issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back