Render options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just having the back wall of my house rendered, the guys have done the scratch coat and then another smoother coat on top. The original idea was to go for a tyrolean finish which they will apply in the next couple of days, but having been down to TP for some colour samples, we're not sure we want the more lumpy kind of finish.

What are the options? The wall is roughly south facing and we live in the north west (if the weather makes any difference). Is it a bit late to change our minds now on the finish or will it make no difference to the plasterers?

We could really do with being able to go and look at some samples of finishes so if anyone knows where we could do that it would be great.

Cheers

JD

Sponsored Links
the tyrolean gun can be set to fire out small or bigger splashes which will give you different textures ;)

the tyrolean gun can be set to fire out small or bigger splashes which will give you different textures
Thanks jbonding. Is it better to cover it with tyrolean then rather than leave it with a smooth finish? It has a fairly smooth sand and cement finish at the moment and the missus says she would like it just painted as is. Or is there another option for the final finish? I quite like the idea of a finish which has the colour in so with luck I don't have to get my ladders out every few years.

Thanks again

JD

JDLDIY said:
the tyrolean gun can be set to fire out small or bigger splashes which will give you different textures
Thanks jbonding. Is it better to cover it with tyrolean then rather than leave it with a smooth finish? It has a fairly smooth sand and cement finish at the moment and the missus says she would like it just painted as is. Or is there another option for the final finish? I quite like the idea of a finish which has the colour in so with luck I don't have to get my ladders out every few years.

Thanks again

JD

have a look at high build http://www.productselector.co.uk/Docs/AGCerts/AG882114.pdf?ac=
smooth render is sound to paint but if it catches the sun it can look terrible a textered finish hides it slightly in my opinion ;)

Sponsored Links
smooth render is sound to paint but if it catches the sun it can look terrible a textered finish hides it slightly in my opinion
OK, so my options are a smooth finish of sand + cement (is that right?) OR a textured finish such as tyrolean but what other options are there for a textured finish?

JD

:D Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Seriously, I always do as much research before raising questions here, including searching on google and searching this site. In this case the words "texture" and "render" are used with regard to computer/web graphics so it makes it difficult and I still couldn't find a site with decent pictures of various finishes which is what I need.

Ah well, the search continues but I think I'll be taking my plasterer for a drive next time I see him!

JD

JDLDIY said:
:D Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Seriously, I always do as much research before raising questions here, including searching on google and searching this site. In this case the words "texture" and "render" are used with regard to computer/web graphics so it makes it difficult and I still couldn't find a site with decent pictures of various finishes which is what I need.

Ah well, the search continues but I think I'll be taking my plasterer for a drive next time I see him!

JD

OK look here http://www.wall2wallsolutions.co.uk/Portfolio.htm :LOL:

Oops, things haven't gone the best this afternoon. The stage we are at is that the base coats have been done and I am trying to choose the top finish, as you can see from above. Unfortunately, my plasterer had the impression that we were always going to go for a tyrolean finish but when I presented the samples of tyrolean to the missus she said "oh no I don't want that, I'd like a smooth finish". He tells me that as he has applied a fairly smooth coat (on top of the scratch coat) that is no longer an option. It's my fault, but I didn't know that the base coats would be different depending on what top coat you wanted :oops:

My plasterer seems to think that a sandtex product could be used but I can't find one. Other than that we've thought that we could use tyrolean and try to flatten it a bit but I don't think we'll get the finish we would really like which we have now decided would be a fairly smooth one.

Anyone any ideas? If not I promise this will be my last post bothering the forum on this!

JD

JDLDIY said:
Oops, things haven't gone the best this afternoon. The stage we are at is that the base coats have been done and I am trying to choose the top finish, as you can see from above. Unfortunately, my plasterer had the impression that we were always going to go for a tyrolean finish but when I presented the samples of tyrolean to the missus she said "oh no I don't want that, I'd like a smooth finish". He tells me that as he has applied a fairly smooth coat (on top of the scratch coat) that is no longer an option. It's my fault, but I didn't know that the base coats would be different depending on what top coat you wanted :oops:

My plasterer seems to think that a sandtex product could be used but I can't find one. Other than that we've thought that we could use tyrolean and try to flatten it a bit but I don't think we'll get the finish we would really like which we have now decided would be a fairly smooth one.

Anyone any ideas? If not I promise this will be my last post bothering the forum on this!

JD

what he means is FAIRLY SMOOTH in other words quote me "smooth render is sound to paint but if it catches the sun it can look terrible" so in other words the finish prior to tyrolean is not good enough just to paint.
when you showed the sample to the misses what exactly did you show her? Take a drive about and do it on a sunny day and look at the differences between a flat finish and textured, things to note, cracks,the light shining on textured and flat,dirt,flaking paint and im sure you may have to get close up to notice a texture. ;)

There are a number of alternate and differing finishes to choose from, though you may have to search or even import, We used some great fiishes in Germany. Go to a good builders merchants and speak to them about what may be available, also look here at K-rend.
http://www.k-rend.co.uk/flash.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back