render over plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to line a wall with white pb over a brick wall [the heavier sound type], and then skim over with 4:1:1 sand cement lime + feb and pva. Is this advisable or will it all fall off as a 4m x 2.5m huge slab, flattening all the occupants in the room?

thanks, b/

Sponsored Links
Hi B/Spark,
You say you want to line a brick wall with plasterboard and then coat cement render on top of the plasterboard.Never heard of that one before.There would be a lot of weight on the board, which is only meant to carry lightweight plaster/tiles at the most. I also think that a skim-coat of cement render would not work the same as a skim-coat of plaster.Why do you not prepare the brick wall and render it instead. I have in the past cement rendered and also roughcasted whole walls made out of a timber frame lined with wire lath.Scratched coated(carefully) and then coated out.Just a thought.

Regards:Roughcaster.

What effect do you want :confused: the grainy finish of render :?: Give it a slurry coat of Cempolatex (floor levelling compound )...it`ll look like grey stone ;)

Sponsored Links
it's basically about noise reduction, I read someplace that the more types of substance vibrations go through the more the sound energy is dissipated.
hence; brick -> dabs of very strong flex ahesive -> plasterboard -> render

instead of just brick -> render.

I dont think the render will be much heavier than those thick porcelain tiles that tilers heap onto pb, so assumed the weight issue o.k. but at least tile ahdesive is seriously sticky,

screws into the pb every 40 cm, sticking out by 1cm, just so there's a mechanical 'key'?

b/

Hi
There is only one way to find out B/Spark,get the mixer started.

Regards:Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back