Render Sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please recommend a good sealant for the newly-rendered walls of a 1960s bungalow which I've been asked to seal, then paint with masonry paint?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Emily, why do you need to seal the walls of new render? You don't need too if you are applying exterior paint for a first time.
Its only on old flaky dusty stuff you would need to do a primer or stabilizer coat.

If it's new render and completely dry, brush off using a soft hand brush, all the loose sandy bits but don't over brush, then if you have an old roller, medium pile, give the wall a thinned coat, 30% to bind all the sandy bits to the wall. It will bind all the last bits and dust into the paint.
If the exterior wall has lots of fiddle bits, I leave off the roller and paint it using a 5" masonry brush to cut round windows etc.

Now I would let it dry overnight, check the surface and see that I am happy with it. Others may say to get on with a second coat but I like the first to dry out properly.
I would then do 2 top coats just the same as a normal exterior house paint job, thinned just a bit to keep a nice flow on the brush or roller. Allow to dry between coats. I like the Sandtex but it can be a bit pricey.

In the past I have just done as oldgreymouse has stated. My preferred paint system for this is dulux weathersheild but each will have their own preferred paint system!

Would agree vibro, the weathershield is just as good stuff, I mention both to a client and see what sort of feedback I get in case they have a preference.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to you both. I was asked to seal it by the customer, whose builder had told her her it needed it. I must admit, I thought sealing render sounded a bit dubious as if there is any damp in the render, it would be sealed in.

Good, I'm feel happier now I know I don't have to!

I shall go and compare prices for Dulux and Sandtex!

:D

Why is a so-called pro asking such basic questions? Most DIYers know more than he does.

Why is a so-called pro asking such basic questions? Most DIYers know more than he does.

There's no call for narkiness!

I'm asking the question because I live in a part of the world where there are very few rendered houses and it's the first time I've been asked to paint a newly-rendered one. My instincts were (as explained above) that it was an odd thing to do; I'm really glad I asked the question as I got some helpful advice from three people, if not from you.

Unlike you, I don't think I know everything...I'm happy to learn

:)

So enjoy your evening and keep taking the Sennokots!

Thats actually really funny, "The Dec" expert in painting, decorating and industrial strength laxatives, could put it on your van mate!

Just tryin to catch up folks, came in a bit late on this post

Does this paint senokot come in a range of colours then :?:

I need something to use in a client's new bathroom.

They want me to freshen the place up a bit :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back