Partly newly rendered house that needs painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a property that has been previously been painted in Johnstones weathershield (which I believe is water based)

After the job we realised that a section of the render (about 10 square meter) was knackered and now has to be hacked off and re-rendered to be made good again.

We will then have to re-paint this new render and whilst we're at it might as well re-paint the whole building again

Questions are:-

How long till the new render can be re-painted?

As I have an account with Johnstones I'll use them again, but have read that a diluted piolite is best to use as a first coat on the bare render. But as piolite is oil based and the property has already been painted in water based weathershiled, is it better is use water downed masonry paint as a first coat to seal the render?

Heard that there's no need to waste time and money on brand sealer and sealants.....is this true?

Property is 5 stories high and scaffolding has been up for over a year, so want to get it right this time round!!

Sponsored Links
With regard to the drying time of the render this is dependant on a number of factors eg thickness/climate, on new render sealers are not required. Regarding the choice of paint whilst Pliolite does seem to be hard wearing it can also prove to be problematic and at this moment of time i'm a little unsure with regard to the longevity of the system.

Waterbased Masonry paints have stood the test of time and in my opinion remain to be the better option, just thin your first coat around 10% followed by two further coats thinned around 5%.

Dec

Looking at it, it'll probably be about an inch of new render. Climate wise.....we had a massive rain storm yesterday that caused the biggest leak in a room ive seen and the ceiling collapsed on my head in situ...look like i jumped in a pool fully clothed, leak fixed now though!!

So guessing the weather is typical british summer weather...as in on and off sun and rain, what would you say re-paint time is?

Render will be about an inch thick so may look dry on the surface but doubt it will dry all the way through even in the best of weather

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back