Advice on painting an external wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to paint the front of my terraced house this weekend since our builder has partially re-rendered it. Tomorrow I will purchase a emulsion based masonry paint for the job (probably Johnstone's Stormshield , Crown Stronghold, or Sandtex trade) but can anyone just confirm a few questions below:-

- There is still some old paint on the top part of the wall, what is the best way to remove it? I am thinking to buy a steel brush and take it off with elbow grease. Is it OK to simply paint over it with the new undiluted emulsion if I can't remove?

- For newly rendered part of the wall I intend to dilute the paint 20% for the first coat and then use it neat on the second. Correct?

- Should I just use rollers to apply the coats - is this the best tool for the job. How many coats is enough?

thanks for any advise

adam

Sponsored Links
Use a wide blade scraper to remove loose paint. If the paint is well stuck, leave it alone and paint over it.
Everything else sounds fine. Use a roller and you'll need 2 coats on the new render.

when should you use stabilising solution on an exterior wall? In the situation above, would just a wash down prior to paint be ok.

Sponsored Links
I use a scientifically tried and tested method, to test whether to stabilise existing paint, that's served me well.

Here it is:

Wet finger with tongue - dab onto paint surface - watch closely to see if it sinks in quickly.
If it does, stabilise it, if it lies on top .........paint it. :D

Growler said:
I use a scientifically tried and tested method, to test whether to stabilise existing paint, that's served me well.

Here it is:

Wet finger with tongue - dab onto paint surface - watch closely to see if it sinks in quickly.
If it does, stabilise it, if it lies on top .........paint it. :D

I used to have an easier method...

I got the apprentice to lick it :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back