Render volumes for 2.7sqm walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - going to render part of a wall (2 x chimney alcoves) this weekend and have two 2.7square meter 'walls' to cover. At 15mm thick that equates to 2 x 41litres of 'render' - I presume aplied in two coats, one to flatten the wall (old house, bricks all over the place) and a finish coat to leave it flat for plastering.

Do I just measure out 41 litres of plastering sand and cement in the right ratio and add water or does the mix 'shrin' 'as the water is added...if it does - is there a formula for working out how much dry mix to make x amount of wet render?

Don't want to come up short and have to re-mix in the middle, but don't want loads left over....

Cheers,

Virgil.

Sponsored Links
1 bag of sand does approx 1 and half m2 m use 4-1 scratch coat 5-1 topcoat lay on scratch coat and scratch it so you have a key for the float coat long wavey lines like this ~~~~, lay on float coat and devil scratch ready to recieve skim in figure 8 so it looks like this 88888 use a plasticiser

If your doing such a small area I would use weber OCR (one coat render) 1 bag equals 1sqm at 15mm, so obviously you will need 3 bags ! Will be able to do it in one hit rather than scratch and come back later, plus I find it easier to rub up and get a smooth Finnish !

Sponsored Links
1 bag of sand does approx 1 and half m2 m use 4-1 scratch coat 5-1 topcoat lay on scratch coat and scratch it so you have a key for the float coat long wavey lines like this ~~~~, lay on float coat and devil scratch ready to recieve skim in figure 8 so it looks like this 88888 use a plasticiser

Thanks. That helps a lot! presume a bag is 25kg? so a bag of sand per coat effectively?

plasticiser in both coats?

Cheers,

Virgil.

If your doing such a small area I would use weber OCR (one coat render) 1 bag equals 1sqm at 15mm, so obviously you will need 3 bags ! Will be able to do it in one hit rather than scratch and come back later, plus I find it easier to rub up and get a smooth Finnish !

Thanks, but got the rest of the walls to do after this so probably best if i get used to measuring it out :)

Thanks. That helps a lot! presume a bag is 25kg? so a bag of sand per coat effectively?

plasticiser in both coats?

Cheers,

Virgil.
yes use plasticiser in both coats
[EDIT] on the devil scratch use a float with nails in and dont make the scratch to deep

Thanks, Steve. Presume it's worth 5-1 PVAing the walls first to stop the suction?

Cheers guys. Did a wall tonight and went well...mixed 4 bags of sand by hand in a plastered buket...not ideal, but for there in the end!

Well, 23 bags of sand later and I'm still going...I recon on about 13sqm, but the wall is about as bad as you could get for rendering (straight) I guess. Some bricks are 3/4" out from others, so there's probably about 25mm of render in some places!

Im pretty happy though - wall is perfectly flat and now plumb...wasn't miles out of plumb, just a million miles away from flat!!

Will be using hardwall on the airing cupboard side of the wall as want to have a go at full plaster...

got myself a new trowel and polished the edges ready for the skim coat as my render float (as it is now) is pretty rough...

going ok though...

Well, 23 bags of sand later and I'm still going...I recon on about 13sqm, but the wall is about as bad as you could get for rendering (straight) I guess. Some bricks are 3/4" out from others, so there's probably about 25mm of render in some places!

Im pretty happy though - wall is perfectly flat and now plumb...wasn't miles out of plumb, just a million miles away from flat!!

Will be using hardwall on the airing cupboard side of the wall as want to have a go at full plaster...

got myself a new trowel and polished the edges ready for the skim coat as my render float (as it is now) is pretty rough...

going ok though...
upload some pics

Dont worry it would have to be a disaster for it to show up on a pic. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back