Rendered - Parex to a bead does it need sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had house rendered - Parex.
Old render removed and fresh start including base coats and meshing.
It's all been done to a plastic bead. Window and door reveals. The house is hip height brick with a protruding brick line which it was previously rendered to. The new render sits on a bead set on the brick line.
It looks crisp and smart but it's just occurred to us, do we need to seal on to the brick and window frames.?
Or will the miniscule gaps allow the structure to breathe.
A little worried now about the beading!!!
Appreciate it's a bit late now, but opinions would be appreciated.
Guess if necessary we could go round with sealant?

Sponsored Links
If you’re talking about where the render meets the window frame, then yes I’d still run a bead of silicone down it to reduce chance of rain getting behind render

Thank you yes, that's what I was wondering. That's easy done then.

If you’re talking about where the render meets the window frame, then yes I’d still run a bead of silicone down it to reduce chance of rain getting behind render

Do you mean only in those situations where they've put a stop-bead up against the upvc frame, or also those situations where they've rendered directly up to a frame? I've just had my rear Parex'd and have a mixture of both.

Sponsored Links
Rendered to a stop bead. It sits on a stop bead which sits on a line of brick hip height round the house. Below is brick.
The join of the two there is a miniscule gap as of course the bead is straight and the 1920's brick has small undulations.
Just wondered if good as things can breathe or whether it should be sealed ie silicone sealant.
The old sand and cement was of course run up to the brick so bonded.

Do you mean only in those situations where they've put a stop-bead up against the upvc frame, or also those situations where they've rendered directly up to a frame? I've just had my rear Parex'd and have a mixture of both.
I meant either. Can’t see it being any different to sealing the frame against brickwork. tbh I’d say the risk is minimal either way, I’ve got several windows/doors I’ve just rendered up to, and not bothered siliconing. Still looks identical years later.

Thanks. The old render was so patched and perished bits we had ingress of water on heavy rain days. Want this to outlast us!!! so anxious to make sure it's spot on. To be fair the chap was meticulous in his work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back