Rendered retaining garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a new retaining wall built in concrete blocks and rendered with repainted self cleaning render.

Behind the wall will be a plant border and the gap for the border was filled with sand/soil by the builder.

Every time it rains we get puddles of water sat on top of the wall and certain areas of the wall get very wet.

Having read some other threads I am now wondering if there should be some kind of water barrier behind the wall between it and the soil?

Also wondering about the quality of the rendering as we get puddles on top, and there are some holes, not sure if I am expecting too much.

I’ve added some pics of rain water on wall, the
4DA88CEE-AE92-408C-9E93-0BD2B924BAC5.jpeg
F74C551B-F2CC-4F3A-82DD-7F264923BC38.jpeg
7CC9BA39-34A7-44CE-9143-C35919BCA367.jpeg
6EAEA8CE-3EEC-49BB-8F79-F51ACF35CA74.jpeg
86236E02-3DF2-43D2-BA19-0A2A7D149FDF.jpeg
and would value your comments/advice

thanks

Attachments

• 44A82BA6-4E85-40B1-BBED-70858BEB287C.jpeg
    44A82BA6-4E85-40B1-BBED-70858BEB287C.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
It's worth having a coping on top of the wall. and a drainage system behind it.

Thanks for your reply, what sort of drainage system would you recommend?

thanks

was there an initial scratch coat put onto the blocks, with a waterproofing agent added to the mix?.
looks like they have top coated in 1 hit monocouche render.
this can be sealed with a clear waterproofer, or maybe some drainage holes drilled at the bottom of retaining planters, as I assume that they are filling up and holding water. monocouche is water resistant for rain etc, but for what you have ,a tanking waterproof system should have been applied, to prevent the penetrating water.

Sponsored Links
The back of the wall should have had a waterproof membrane put in between it and the soil.
Looks a tidy enough job.

There is no way you will stop that staining with that design of rendered wall. Next comes the algae.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back