Rendered wall in Conservatory needs painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a lean-to conservatory going up this week which will result in part of 2 exterior walls, 1 rendered, 1 brick, becoming internal walls and I am looking for advice on how to seal and paint them. I do not want to plasterboard them.

I have already weather sealed the brick wall and will prime and paint it with emulsion, waiting 30 days as per manufacturers instructions.

It's the rendered wall that I am less sure about. I've brushed it down and scrubbed it with bleach and water ahead of the frame and glass going in this week, but am not sure how to go about painting it. Should I be putting on a primer first? Are there any extra thick undercoat products that will flatten out some of the render effect that I could use before emulsioning over the top? Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Why are you so keen to use emulsion paint (whicih is essentially designed for putting on plaster, not render)?

I think you would be better using masonry paint, even if it is now an 'inside' wall.

edflyer, what have you sealed the bricks with and you say you have bought a primer What sort and what for?

If your external walls are now to become inside walls, make sure they are full dry, AFTER the conservatory has gone up. Both walls will be dirty, being exposed to the elements so cleaning is a must as you have done.

Have you considered as Emily has suggested, using masonry paint in either smooth or textured finish to reduce the render effect.
You local dulux centre will do you a mix in many colours so why are you looking at interior emulsions. It don't make sense if you are not going to dry line the walls and plaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies. The main reason I was looking to use emulsion is to match the rest of the ground floor, which I am painting at the same time. I'm going to do both walls with a masonry paint to seal them and then go over the top with the emulsion. Again - thanks for the replies

You can get the masonry paint mixed in the same colour as the emulsion it might not adhere to well to it. I have never gone over before. Others might say different. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back