Rendering an external painted brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I'm about to move into a new home that's been rendered on the fron whilst the rest of the outside of the house has simply been painted white.

I'm thinking of having the entire house rendered. Whats issues are there in regards to the already painted brickwork ? - does the paint have to be removed first ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
ive rendered over many a painted wall and never had any problems if you want to be sure it will have a key use neat pva glue mixed with sand and paint it on the wall and leave it to set or the more expensive way is to mesh the brickwork before its rendered where abouts are you?

ive rendered over many a painted wall and never had any problems if you want to be sure it will have a key use neat pva glue mixed with sand and paint it on the wall and leave it to set or the more expensive way is to mesh the brickwork before its rendered where abouts are you?

thanks very much for that.

Im in Nottingham.

if you want it rendered ill give you a price on it if you want im the other side of Burton upon Trent

Sponsored Links
I have seen render come off in sheets on "painted" brick-work!! I personally would run the grinder over it in diamond patterns to form a good "key". Then an SBR slurry before you scratch.....

I have seen render come off in sheets on "painted" brick-work!! I personally would run the grinder over it in diamond patterns to form a good "key". Then an SBR slurry before you scratch.....

thats the way i have always prepped such surfaces. i have only used mesh on unstable surfaces such as sand/limestone.

if using pva make sure its the waterproof variety! "though i prefer sbr myself".

ive done the grinder thing many times before just find it so time consuming and very messy especially when uve got a big wall to do dust over everything! neighbours love it when theres a bit of wind to lol i have used a basecoat from k rend which is designed for this kind of substrate which works well provides a key for the render but very expensive it all comes down to how pourous the mortar joints are if they are still pourous they should provide the key

if you want it rendered ill give you a price on it if you want im the other side of Burton upon Trent

Cheers. I'll give you a shout when I move in. I'm also having the entire interior re-plastered. Is this your bag too ?.

yea thats just my cup of tea!! give me a ring on 07964180740 when your ready cheers Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back