Rendering and plastering the German way. Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to this site. Great help so far!

I'm over in Germany with the Forces and have just bought a 1960's house. I've had to have the kitchen completely gutted and ripping the tiles off the walls brought all the render with them. End result was every wall back to brick work (very very poor brick work too)!!!

I got a local builder in to re-render all the walls and he's done a smashing job. However, builders in Germany DON'T plaster or skim plaster walls. They insist that is a job for decorators!! They don't understand my desire for a skim coated finish to be painted! and I don't have the cash that decorators want!

So, I'm going to have a go at this myself. Luckily I've got plenty of time and I'm looking forward to the challenge. The walls are all finished with mortar and I've installed a suspended plasterboarded ceiling. Do I need a different type of plaster for the ceiling and walls? Obviously I need board finish for the ceiling but what do I put on top of the render and do I need to pva bond it first or will the rough (but even) finish of the render key nicely?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
WET THE WALLS AND SKIM AWAY USING MULTI FINISH. IF U R A NOVICE PRACTICE ON YOUR SMALLIST WALL. DONT FORGET TO USE 2 COATS. GOOD LUCK :D

Thanks Brist,

I forgot to mention that one of the four walls doesn't require any rendering and is just paint over the original rough finish render (that's the way they do things here. All the local tradesmen have looked at me in amazement when I ask for a smooth finish to my walls)!

Anyway, i could go on and on about the differences between here and UK, but what preparation would a painted wall require before skimming? It's a very rough paint finish!! Could I sand the wall the help keying?

Cheers in advance!

Thanks Brist,

I forgot to mention that one of the four walls doesn't require any rendering and is just paint over the original rough finish render (that's the way they do things here. All the local tradesmen have looked at me in amazement when I ask for a smooth finish to my walls)!

Anyway, i could go on and on about the differences between here and UK, but what preparation would a painted wall require before skimming? It's a very rough paint finish!! Could I sand the wall the help keying?

Cheers in advance!

If you can't get Bondit, seal up with PVA solution at least 24 hrs before skimming, assuming the paint and render are sound.

Then another coat of PVA solution , and plaster on to this while it is still tacky to ensure adhesion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Can't get Unibond over here as the practice of skimming is not really recognised. Any 'plastering' is done over the top of brickwork or rough render! After explaining to the builders yard I wanted my new render skimmed I was given a gypsum based board joint filler!!! As this is the only substance able to be skimmed to 3 mm. Normal plaster like material has to be applied to a minimum of 8mm!! Pointless for me on top of newly rendered flat walls. They seem to think it will be OK! I'm not quite convinced but will give it a try.

Do I need to apply new angle bead over the top of the new existing angle bead on the new corners to get flat edges for the skim? The builders used it when rendering all my walls and windows. Can I put another angle bead on top for a skim of plaster?

cheers

can you get beads that sit 3mm proud of a corner? Only seen 5mm and up, or do I graduate the thickness up to the corners?

Hello Stuart, I'm very interested to know how you got on. I am currently plastering in Germany, having never done it before, and it's a nightmare! I'm convinced the plaster I'm using isn't the same stuff as you get in the UK. Then again it could just be my appalling lack of skill :eek:

What plaster and brand did you use in the end and how did it look?

..interesting post. Sorry can't add much only I know the standards are different, from what I recall they slap it on far thinner rate than what I've seen in uk, going by my brothers flat he refurbed many years ago in Germany. Mabe the guys in practiker diy store can advise??
Germany= where Sundays are what they should be, nice peace and quite. I asked the Practiker diy store guy once what time they open on Sundays, he looked at me perplexed. :rolleyes:

Hello Stuart, I'm very interested to know how you got on.

hi garyK67, its adviseable to check some ones activity before you ask as you have. Stuart only ever made 4 posts, they were all back in January. I doubt he will reply

Hello Breezer, yes I know the chances were slim, but he still had an unanswered question and was perhaps 'watching' the thread. It is more likely that plastering has got the better of him and he's in a straitjacket.

Unfortunately Kitesurfer, the people at DIY places can't really help. I think I'm wanting something that is pretty unknown here and it's impossible to explain. The main DIY store chains don't even sell skim and I found some stuff at more of a builders merchants. It's called Hagalith B and goes off quickly and in patches creates the finish I'm looking for.
BUT it does go on incredibly thinly, which I think is my problem. I can't get the craters out because there's no depth and I end up overworking. It just won't go on thickly, though, and also doesn't seem to be the same consistency as British plaster.
On the other hand, it could all be me. I just don't know. I'll keep trying though.

hey go find your local denture making lab there will be plenty. They will have 25kgs bags of 3 types of plaster all gyproc stuff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back