Render vs Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The brickie has raised the lintel on the chimney breast, ready to fit an extractor fan. I need to patch in the plaster & have a few questions.
The house is Edwardian & the existing finish seems to be some sort of render with a skim of plaster. On the sides of the chimney, the render is around 1" deep and around 1/2 " on the front. Bricks are engineering, with a concrete lintel.
Should I use render over the whole lot or can I use bonding plaster + then a skim?
What about the concrete lintel- it's quite smooth and too hard to key?

Sponsored Links
According to the plaster selector guide on the BG site, max depth for bonding is 11mm so render it will need to be.

So final problem- how to render over the concrete lintel?

Cheers speed, bonding it will be. This is the depth of the existing plaster:

So I guess do it in two passes.

Any tips for the concrete lintel?

Sponsored Links
As Speed says, apply bonding in seperate coats. Put one on,, scratch it, leave it to pick up or set then put on another coat until you're out to the required thickness,,,, again, let it set then you're ready for the finish. For the concrete lintel, give it a coat of pva then use bonding coat straight onto the pva whilst it's still wet/tacky. You'll probably need an angle/corner bead,,,, (not to be confused with a thin coat bead), This should be bedded on with dabs of plaster, normally multi finish made up on the stiff side. Put the angle beading on first, let the plaster dabs set, after that pva the lintel itself, then coat straight onto the wet pva with the bonding coat. Again, if it needs a couple of coats, scratch the first one, leave it a while then bring it out to the thickness required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back