Rendering / Dashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I will be wanting to dash my garage once compeleted its only a small project.

However I've never had a go of this so if anyone has any pointers for me would greatly appreciate it...

Whats the best method in doing this?

First skim consists of...? just normal builders sand and cement?

must i pva / also add plastercizer to mix? I know i must add waterproofer to the mix :)

The mrs wants the dashing render dyed. I've heard that every mix must be spot on otherwise patchy. But am quite confident in doing this :)

How thick should the first skim then the pebble dash skim be?

sorry for all the questions just new to dashing done plenty of plastering in my time.

Have watched some youtube videos but most seem pretty poor with detailing things.

thanks in advance for the help and your expertise :)

Sponsored Links
There are so many variants for what you want to do and getting dyed render to be consistant is not something a novice could do.(my opinion )You mentioned "builders sand" and cement, it has to be sharp washed sand,as builders sand is ok for brick-laying not plastering, you say "skim" coat this would be the "scratch" coat and you say you have done plenty of plastering, would this be rendering or skimming? What dash would you be using? What colour dye would you be using? I am not saying you can't do this I am just wandering about your skill level..

hi mate i must be honest i havent done any outside rendering on plastering inside house. Reason for wanting to do it myself is cost of the cost. had quotes and just cant afford it, the money they want i can get more materials for garage etc.

I want to be starting this thursday weather permitting lol

Do i need to put a slurry coat on breeze blocks? or not? if so what is best method for slurry coat?

Must i put waterproofer + lime in scratch coat? was thinking of the ratio 1:3

then for top (dashing) also put waterproofer and lime but do this 1:4 does that sound correct?

colour dye is buff, plan to use small small cup each time to get colour same in every mix

Thanks in advance

Lee

change of plan had a go done one wall with scratch coat got more on floor than on wall lol (aint got enough bags of spar for floor lol)

got a neighbour coming to do it now but ill mix so charging cheaper :)

Sponsored Links
change of plan had a go done one wall with scratch coat got more on floor than on wall lol (aint got enough bags of spar for floor lol)

got a neighbour coming to do it now but ill mix so charging cheaper :)
good on you for coming back with that it sounds easy on paper dosent it? at least you tried though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back