Rendering dormer's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wondered if someone could help, sorry if this is a repeated question but i could'nt find anything when i done a search

I have just stripped my dormer's from peg tiles and want to render it.

They are all plyed and at the moment have old roofing felt covering, which i am to remove and put breather paper (ti-vec) over the ply. What i would loke to know is do i use normal mesh attached direct onto the ply. I have read that the mesh is meant to be spaced from the ply to allow render to get all around. I presume this is where riblath comes into play leaving a small gap behind the mesh ?

My question is do i use riblath or can mesh be attached direct to the ply ?

Have i just answered my own question ? lol

Sponsored Links
Hi,
If you are going to use wire lath,don't fix it directly onto the ply/felt surface.You would need to fix timber battens first,say 2"x1" treated,and then fix your lath to that,either galvanised or s/steel.The battens give the render room to grip behind the wire lath. Fix with galvanised/stainless steel nails or staples.Get it to be as taut as you can,it's easier to work on.

Roughcaster.

You should have no problem with rib lath.

Even eml fixed directly to a flat surface will give you enough key, no problem. That is why plastering spec will include building paper behind the eml when eml is required over timber or joints of dissimilar materials.

Make sure all joints are lapped at least 100mm

If in doubt, try hacking it off sometime ;)

Thanks for your response guys.

Roughcast:

Rather than batten over everything will rib lath have the same effect, with the ribs acting as the battens say.

Or would you say it is easier to batten the whole lot getting battens around the window reveals for corner beads etc.

Sponsored Links
You can use either.I have always tended to use battens and wire lath to form the background of any wooden structure to be rendered or roughcasted over,to allow some build up of mortar behind the lath.Riblath will allow you to do the same.If you do use corner beading for your window reveals,make sure you use Expamet EXTERNAL angle bead.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back