Rendering fireplace/brickwork repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am preparing my fireplace prior to the installation of a woodburner. I have removed the fire surround and opened it up to reveal the original lintel and builder's opening.

As you can see from the photo, the bricks either side of the fireplace have had their corners removed to produce an angled edge to the brickwork. I think perhaps this was done to accommodate a gas appliance at some point? I want to return this to a standard right angled corner if possible and was wondering how i could approach this?

Can I just build this up gradually with mortar or should I take a different approach? What would you do? I don't really want to replace the brickwork, as it seems pretty solid.

Also, I plan to render the inside with lime/cement/sand mix, and skim or bonding/skim the front. Sound ok?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back