Rendering help and advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

I am about to render an old earth retaining wall in my garden and have the following questions:

1) The wall does not have a PVC sheet behind it to protect moisture from penetrating the wall and its not practical to put one behind it, should I treat the wall with some sort or waterproofing solution? If so which one.

2) The wall has been painted on parts in previous years, there is no flaking paint, do I need to remove all the paint?

3) What rendering mix should I use? The vast majority of the is clay red brick with some blue engineering bricks in it, there is also a section made from concrete blocks.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Has anyone got any advice? Would be much appreciated.

If theres no DPM behind it there's the possibility that the render will "Blow". I'm not sure what you could use on the front of the retaining wall to keep out moisture and be a key for the render.

Thanks, maybe I could use a lime render as this breaths.

Sponsored Links
If theres no DPM behind it there's the possibility that the render will "Blow". I'm not sure what you could use on the front of the retaining wall to keep out moisture and be a key for the render.

YOu could paint the wall with 'blackjack' , bitumen etc , and blind it ie throw sharp sand into it before it sets. Thsi will give a key for the render.

There will be no suction for you , though.

You could also tank it with SBR and sand and cement.

YOu could paint the wall with 'blackjack' , bitumen etc , and blind it ie throw sharp sand into it before it sets. Thsi will give a key for the render.

There will be no suction for you , though.

You could also tank it with SBR and sand and cement.[/quote]

Thanks, what is SBR?

What mix would you use for the render?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back