Rendering of Exterior Concrete Bag Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We recently moved into our property and we have this particular eyesore built as a retaining wall, it was and I quote ‘a cost saving measure’ put in by the previous owner.

We were proposing to knock out the top 2 ft and build a brick wall which ties into the existing wall but what to do with the other 8 ft leading down to the stream? Would it be possible to render it and if so what with? There is the potential for it being under water for a couple of months a year in the winter when the water level rises so that needs to be considered.

The sacks seem to be a plastic type material that has not degraded over time so I guess they would all have to be removed for any render to adhere to the concrete?

Would appreciate some suggestions on how to potentially improve is aesthetically. Failing that I could re-enact WW1 trench warfare with my son.

Sponsored Links
IMG_6399[2775].JPG IMG_6400[2773].JPG IMG_6401[2776].JPG

Try to cut all the plastic off the concrete then mesh it with stainless mesh and throw some 4-1 mortar on it and try to shape it a bit with a 4-1 mix and brush it up to a reasonable shape...But you will have to incorporate a good water-proofer in the mix to hold back the water. Or shutter it up and concrete it..That includes the brick wall aswell...Good Luck...

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.

Tiger - That could be a possibility, the previous owner mentioned that the bourne level can get quite high although the property has no obvious signs of previous flooding, which would be the case if the water level went higher than the drive.

Roy - Would something like this put in the 4:1 mix be suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-truguard-exterior-waterseal-clear-5ltr/3800p

Definitely a summer job but like the sound of the mesh + render option, thanks.

No mucka that stuff is for painting or spraying on a wall. You need a mortar additive. A water-proofer and read the instructions on the container..

Cheers Roy. Would galvanised lath do the business or is stainless definitely the way to go? There's a big price differential.

Galvanised will do the job but it will break down at sometime but not for along time. I am not saying don't use it as it will do the job. I am pretty lucky cause the guy I am working for can afford to use stainless lath when we need it... It's your choice ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back