rendering question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there im new to the forum :) Iam rendering a back wall of a house for the first time next week and i have got a couple of questions if you wouldnt mind helping with?

The area iam rendering is approx 9 ft x 15 ft. how many bags and what materials (eg cement, sharp sand etc) should i be looking to buy for each coat?

And what is the mix eg. do i need lime in both coats ? do i need a waterproofer in both coats? someone mentioned feb mix? i have never heard of this. do i need it in both coats?

the wall iam doing has some old brickwork ( high suction) some old brickwork thats been painted (low suction) and some new brickwork (also low suction) all in it. what the best way to get an even level of suction on the whole wall?

In some parts of the wall where there are pipes etc going into it. there is a spongy material that looks like expanding foam that has been used to fill the gaps around the pipes. Will i be able to render over this?

Finally this is how iam planning on doing the job can you tell me if it seems ok

fix beads - apply scratch coat - rule off with feather edge - scratch. week later apply second coat - rule off with feather edge - rub up with float - pray it turns out ok :)

thanks for taking the time to help me its really appriciated :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back