Rendering questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am having some work done on my house and I have a few questions about the work.
The rendering that has been done this week looks ok but it's very soft and sandy.
They have used that I know of one dumpy bag to 6 of cement bags.
On the edge of my outside door you can rub the render and it just crumbles back to sand.
Does this sound like a weak mix and they have started to paint it yesterday...

Sponsored Links
Stone walls,silver sand no render bead on one wall,so how long would it take to dry if normal and hack off job I take it...

Sponsored Links
Tbh it's the first I have heard of rendering with siversand , I have never used it apparently it's a fine grade sand and I see that some spreads have used it with lime but it is also used in other applications in and around the garden , because of it being fine I cannot see the grains binding to well , this is just my oppinion

As above.

Of all available sands why silver sand?
A dumpy bag of sand to six bags of cement is a meaningless mix proportion to me.

OP, why not read back what these plasterers and renderers on here have had to say about external rendering?

Tbh it's the first I have heard of rendering with siversand , I have never used it apparently it's a fine grade sand and I see that some spreads have used it with lime but it is also used in other applications in and around the garden , because of it being fine I cannot see the grains binding to well , this is just my oppinion
This is hilarious!! Silver sand lol

That won't last till Christmas...

It's Leighton sand or washed river I normally throw in a shovel of building sand to each mix to make easier spread ... So it's 10 shovel Leighton sand two soft and half bag of cement for final coat

Silver sand is for grouting block paving

Thought I would come back to this post after seeing this spread on YouTube use silver sand for pebble dashing just as a note I've only ever known this sand to be called kiln dry sand

Well one wall has started to fail the render is soft still and sandy,paint has come away and if
You rub the render you can just rub it off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back