RENDERING/ROUGHCAST REPAIRS - HELP ADVICE NEEDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently bought a big old 1959 detached house in Worcester in need of complete refurbishment.

My first main job is the outside. The whole house down to waist height level is covered in what I believe is called 'Roughcast', a lumpy porridge like rough finish painted white with chips/stones that appear to be between 6mm to 8mm. In general, it is in fairly good condition apart from 12 cracks. 5 of these cracks are hairline and the rest are significant, blown and lifting with damp underneath including the previous owners attempts at repairing them. In places it appears to have had roughcast sprayed over old rough cast and this is where some of the main cracks are. I do feel these cracks just need repairing at this stage and doesn't really warrant taking it off to redo the whole wall. There are no hollow areas when I tap.

I am a fairly competent DIYer but have never experienced or worked with roughcast/render before. I didn't want to be lazy and just post a message here. I have searched through various posts and archives on the net but I am still unsure as the exact process involved to repair these. Some guidance and correction would be appreciated.

Is this correct guys?

I am to grind out the more damaged suspect areas/cracks back to the brickwork making the area sound and clean.

Apply a 3 to 1 sand and cement mix to the wetted bricks and scratch that coat up and leave for 24 hours. I have been told NOT to use any PVA type sealer, just water the bare bricks only.

Next day apply a 4 to 1 sand and cement mix (less cement) to build up the area but keeping it just below the rough cast top coat surface. Is this 2nd render coat to be more sandy/less cement to reduce future cracking? This to be left a further 24 hours. Next day do I use a PVA sealer at this stage? Or keep that off altogether?

Now do I use a 'Tyrolean mix' with my chosen aggregate? I have two 25kg bags of Tyrolean and believe I am to flick/throw this on? I am ok with the application process. I have some plastering experience and patience. So I can mess with this and manipulate the finish to make it blend in etc. I think!

Do I need to include an additive of any kind in the 3 mixes such as a primer/render bonding additive or what I have read is a damp proofer to be included???

The materials I have at the moment are bags of building sand, cement, Tyrolean, SBR add mixture, PVA sealer. I have a trade account with Selco Birmingham so have access to most of the materials I may need. I was also told I will need 6mm or so, lime chippings. Is this something I can acquire from most building suppliers as I have never heard of them??? Do I also grind out even the hairline cracks or just brush a cement type mix up in these minor ones? Will that last a while or will the cracks re-appear if I don't open them up and repair them properly?

Please advice me on my thinking as I want to get this correct in my head before I attempt this. I have a roughcast coated wall inside the garage to play around with first. I will do some test areas in there. Not sure if I am making an over the top fuss with all the detail here. When I am unsure of a procedure that I have not done before I do fuss till I know what I need to do.

Your advice on this will be really appreciated as the few people I have chatted with have given me conflicting information on how to proceed.

Luke

Sponsored Links
Hi Luke - an age ago you wrote your question .. Im facing the same thing now so wondering how you got on and any advice you might have. Cheers - Louise

Hi Luke - an age ago you wrote your question .. Im facing the same thing now so wondering how you got on and any advice you might have. Cheers - Louise
put some pictures up

Here are a few pics - cracks to repair, surfaces needing new render, flaking paint ... you mention it, it needs doing!

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 282
  • flaking surface.jpg
    flaking surface.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 87
  • boiler room.jpg
    boiler room.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 89
  • outside tap.jpg
    outside tap.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 121
  • crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
Didn’t see that one coming:D.
All needs redoing.

Yup thats for sure. So is Lukes description of the methodology still good for today (his post was very old)? Cheers! :)

What’s your intention? hack off and re-do or patch it up?

patch it up.
I anticipate being here for max 5 years .. Im already at the end of my tether with the place.
Today ive been taking off loose render up to my head height. And although quite a bit has come off, that which is still in place seems to pretty firmly stuck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back