Rendering Too Thin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at a new house and noted a small piece of render that has become detached. Also, an area around this about 100mm in diameter is also hollow.

To me, the render coat seems very thin and more of a cosmetic finish.
I would appreciate any thoughts, specifically on whether this is likely to get worse, and repair options.

Thanks,
Alan

//media.diynot.com/108000_107020_72706_74674890_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
That looks like Tyrolean Finish to me. It is normally applied to a cement rendered wall with aTyrolean machine, ( Flicker gun). Is it just the finish itself that is hollow, or the render coat underneath. This type of problem will probably get worse because of the weather getting in behind it, especially if it freezes. Repair options are limited,,, remove any loose area/s and patch up, but it will always be noticeable no matter how well the repair is done. Hard to say what might have caused it to blow/come loose, but check over the rest and if there are other areas that are similar, then the ultimate option is to start again. That particular area might have been slightly damaged/cracked some time ago and has gradually got worse due to the weather, as i said earlier. If that is the only damage on the wall, then the remaining loose material could be carefuly removed, and a repair carried out, prefererably by a tradesman for the best results. If it's the render underneath the Tyrolean that has blown causing the Tyrolean to flake off, then that's more serious. Get a "reputable"local builder/plasterer in to give his opinion. As i said earlier though, any repair, no matter how small, or how well done, will always be noticeable as a patch.

Roughcaster

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure about it being Tyrolean as we have that on our current house and it's much thicker. Top coat on this is only 5mm or so. Did a bit of research today and was wondering if it might be k rend? I'm only guessing though.

From what I can tell it's just the top coat that's hollow and only around this part so assume it is the weather getting in. The base coat underneath sounds solid.

There are a couple of other patches on the wall where it looks like something similar has happened, probably about 300mm dia. They have been painted over and seem to be fine.

Not too fussed about patching as the wall faces the narrow corridor between ours and the house next door.

Could it be a preparation issue?

Thanks

Alan

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that Alan. Another one of the guys on here, "Micilin", may be able to give you more info if it is K rend. Hope you get it sorted anyway. Keep an eye out, because Micilin will give you his opinion. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back