Rendering Vs Brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently getting a ground floor extension built and not sure whether to render the exterior or have brickwork.

Is there much difference in price between rendering or brickwork?

Sponsored Links
Rendering looks ok in it's place, but If I had to choose between a rendered exterior on an extention, or a finished brickwork exterior, I would prefer the brickwork,,,,,, but it would also depend on the finish of the existing part of the property.

Roughcaster.

Currently the house is already rendered but i think a brick extension might still look quite good?

However, if I would save a noticable amount by rendering I would probably do this?

Sponsored Links
once you render any building, you immediately take on board all the maintenance issues that go with it.

as rough says, pointed brickwork can tolerate many, many years of trouble free exposure, so it is the first choice in my book.

if however you live in an area or in a building that lends itself to a rendered finish then so be it.

my first choice would be (expertly applied) pebble dash, then rough cast, then other textured finishes and finally painted smooth render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back