Rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have done some plastering but I'm now looking to do some rendering, but my bricks are shiny London reds so I guess have no suction.

Been told a couple of things - to rake the joints out and seal with some sort of sealer? And also mesh it up first?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carl

Sponsored Links
scud the brickwork first.this should give you a key to scratch over.mix sand:cement 2:1 ,have it watery and skite the brickwork with it

Sponsored Links
Scudding in this context is throwing the stuff onto the wall like harling, spritzing, dashing,spatter coat ?

Most blockwork inIreland is 'scudded' whereas in England the scratch coat goes straight onto blockwork - don't know aboout the Scots whose outside render and dashing is more of a trade than down south

I've always called it "scuttin'" and it was as you said by throwing a mix of 3sand(or2) to 1 cement with unibond in the mix with the w/proofer on to the background with a "dashin'" trowel to kill the suction and then throw a scratch on that after it has hydrated... Also known as a "Splatter-dash" coat because thats the sound it makes when it hits the wall.......

well i'm lost...i thought a spatterdash was a sand and cement slurry applied to the wall with a dustpan brush, smashing the bristles against the wall to give peaks in the spatterdash, like you say roy, the purpose is to kill suction and also to give a good key

thanks for all your replys so i no need to put mesh on the wall. as long as i seal the wall and rake the joints it will be ok any ideas on the best make water proofer and where from and what does sbr do? is this the sealer i need. sorry to sound dum but as i say i no nothing about rendering its a ball game for me and i want to give this a go thanks again :)

SBR is an agent similar to PVA but it's completely waterproof.

do you not scud blockwork in england before you scratch it.

Very, very rare that it is in any spec, and in truth I have never seen any problem with a scratch coat applied directly onto clean, dust free etc blockwork.

And spray renders go straight onto the blocks, no scratch coat -never mind a scud coat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back