renewing kitchen floor

T

teddyb

Hi

We want to use electric inderfloor heating in our new kitchen, which is just being built. The existing floor is quarry tiled on about 2" concrete. We have had 2 suggestions of the way forward - but I like some advice, please!

1. take up tiles and concrete, remove soil to lay dpm and 2" insulation before screed ready for electric heating mat.

2. take up tiles and concrete remove soil to allow for dpm, 4" insulation, 4" concrete, then screed ready for the electric mat.

They are so different - with costs to match. I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Or do you feel you could offer a better solution??

Cheers :confused:

Sponsored Links
the insulation thickness is determined by the product you are using.

jablite polystyrene type insulation should be laid to 125mm thickness to satisfy current building reg's, whereas cellotex or kingspan can be laid to 80mm.

it is a good idea to compact some granular hard core under the insulation too.

Is it really necessary to have 100mm concrete floor slab and 50mm floor screed on top, do you think?

you can just trowel the concrete if you wish, however the screed does allow for easier floor installations such as heating mats, routed pipework or cable conduits.

for best results, allow for a 75mm screed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help, I'll have a chat with the builder and see what we can agree to. It';s really good having someone to chew things over with. Great Forum, great help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back