Renotherm, spray foam for pitched roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeking advice about insulating my loft area. I know nothing about roofing so please offer any advice in laymans terms.

Briefly, 1917 semi, original roof in pretty good order. Roof tiles similar in appearance to rosemary but a bit rougher/darker. No felt, just lath/plaster.

I use the loft space for storage of light items such as christmas decorations etc but each time I open the loft hatch I have lots of black mortar pouring down and making a terrible mess.

I am looking to remedy this, and given that he loft is very cold in winter have considered a foam spray direct to the tiles (renotherm) as an option. Given that I am not sure how much longer I would expect the roof to last, they suggest that I could get another 25+ years service from it at a fraction of the cost, as the product ties in the tiles too.

Thank you for any advice, it would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Might as well replace your whole roof.. cos spray foam basically nails a coffin lid on the roofs lifespan..

Buy some builders paper or other breathable paper (even cheap wall liner paper) and staple it to the underside of your joists.. less dust and you will see when your roof leaks as the paper will fall down..

I am looking to remedy this, and given that he loft is very cold in winter have considered a foam spray direct to the tiles (renotherm) as an option.

The loft is supposed to be cold - insulate at ceiling level to keep the house warm and not at rafter level to keep an unused loft warm

For the debris, get some breathable roofing membrane (about £40 for the cheaper stuff) and staple or nail this to the under side of the rafters to catch any debris. I would not use builing paper as it's a bit of a fire risk

Sponsored Links
THanks, all.

I think I'll steer clear of spray-foaming. THanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back