Spray Foam Roof Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning

I'm buying a house which has unfortunately had spray foam insulation put into the loft.

It's become apparent that this could be an issue for lending and so the vendors have agreed to have this removed. Is it likely this will cause damage to the roof/tiles itself? Am I mad to purchase following removal?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I would want a survey done on the roof after the removal of the spray foam to check for damage and rot.

Its often applied as a last gasp measure to give a roof (with no felt or membrane) that is already on its last legs a bit more life by bonding the tiles together which can conceal and compensate for rotting batons etc. When its removed i suspect you'll find that the roof needs replacing.

Sometimes, spray foam is touted as a means of securing loose or slipped tiles, not just for insulation.

So yes, a survey after removal will advise you about the tiles and structure.

Sponsored Links
Coincidentally, We are currently stripping a roof That has spray foam applied directly to the underside of the !F felt.
Roof had also been relaid over TLX Gold laid directly on top of the 1F.. Very odd.

Its a relatively small roof of 80m2 and has taken 4 guys 4 days to remove the S hite and then there are skips....

In places there was areas of dampness that was trapped in and no way out.

its being retiled with new breathable membrane on OFV and ULST, new Marley Wessex , Insulation will be at ceiling level.

Reason for this post, Its really hard to remove..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back