spray roof insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to spray the underside of my roof with spray on foam and found you can buy DIY kits. I'm wondering if there is any difference between these and standard expanding foam. Has anyone used the DIY kit or standard cans of foam to insulate a roof? Would be great to hear of any experiences good or bad.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hi Freddie,
I know there are a lot of people who do not think this is a good idea. And they have very good reasons for this. But after seeing my neighbours roof which has been sprayed over seven years ago I feel its worth me doing the same.
My main question is can I use off the shelf expanding foam or should wait and order a DIY kit?

Yes well when his roof starts bowing because the timbers have gone rotten because they were encased from bellow in the shoite yet he had no idea as none of it was visible a light bulb moment will occur and he will realise that the cost of replacing not only his tiles but everything above wall plate level is gonna be mighty expensive and maybe spray foam insulation wasn't such a good idea. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
you roof space should be a cold draughty place with the loft insulation keeping in the heat below

spray foam is like snake oil
wood must breath otherwise the moisture content can become constant that is when rot sets in at around 22%

Spray foaming isnt a diy job as will require respiration systems and is normally pumped to a mixing gun and applied chemically hot..

As others have already said you should consider other options as spraying is a roof coffin nail..

And if we experience any gales this winter instead of loosing the odd tile your roof will be a single surface which will survive as one or disappear as one.

I was called to a leaky roof not long back sprayed with foam and I could not find it and that does not happen often.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back