Renovating 1930's flat (with photos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, this is my project. We bought a 1930s flat in Brussels a few months ago and we're gradually doing it up, as I don't think it has seen a paintbrush in about 20 years! It's a 2 bedroom flat with 3m50 high ceilings (pretty typical in this country), and thankfully already has double glazing. We started with our bedroom, as it was so depressing to sleep in! So, here's a couple of before shots (once we'd stripped off 3 layers of woodchip, and sanded 4 layers of paint off the door!):
Before3.jpg

Before2.jpg

As you can see, the walls were in a rubbish state, including some huge holes that had just been filled with rubble and papered over, and some bizarre silver stuff behind the radiator! So, we got builders in to plaster for us, and replace the skirting boards. We then had a new carpet fitted and painted it all ourselves. Et voilà:
After1.jpg

After5.jpg

Our windows are so huge that getting curtains made was going to cost the earth, so I lined a pair of cheapy Ikea ones, and I'm pretty pleased with how they look:
Curtains2.jpg

And with a bit of new furniture:
Furniture3.jpg

The ktichen was only installed a couple of years ago, so didn't need much work, but we've just installed a new piece of worktop to create a kind of breakfast bar/additional work area. Here's a couple of before photos:
Before2-1.jpg

Before1-1.jpg

And with the new worktop, which we're really pleased with:
NewWorktop2-small.jpg

We're tackling the bathroom/toilet next, then the hall and lounge, then finally the 2nd bedroom. I'll keep this thread updated when we start the next job. Comments are very welcome and I want to say thank you to all the contributors on this forum who explained to me how to do things like cutting in, installing worktop, etc. You're all very helpful!

Sponsored Links
nice job :) i also really like those rads and how they're rebated into the walls.. makes great sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back