Renovating a house - still need landline sockets?

You can run telephone over ethernet no problem, and then patch the phone to any ethernet socket so no need for telephone cable.

I didn't know about the switch to digital but my area is not on the roadmap for fibre from 2021-2023, so if there are new builds around that time I haven't a clue what would happen? 2025 is super optimistic I think, I had a nightmare with openreach earlier this year, I don't think they are competent enough to replace all PSTN by 2025.

Sponsored Links
Years ago I fitted every habitable room, the hall and garage with wired points.
Now, I have four cordless phones with the main one plugged into a bedroom.

I live in a major town and don't get many power cuts or no mobile signal
My phone line is a virgin connected to the same internet link.

I do have my old garage phone as a simple £10 Argos wall mounted one in case of power outages.
No idea is a power cut to the virgin box across the street also cuts the phone?

You can run telephone over ethernet no problem, and then patch the phone to any ethernet socket so no need for telephone cable.

I just looked at the prices and 4 pair cw1308 is 60p a metre, but you can get really good quality cat 6 which exceeds the ratings for around 30p a metre, so really if the builders had any sense they wouldn't even be wiring new builds with this stuff

I didn't know about the switch to digital but my area is not on the roadmap for fibre from 2021-2023, so if there are new builds around that time I haven't a clue what would happen? 2025 is super optimistic I think, I had a nightmare with openreach earlier this year, I don't think they are competent enough to replace all PSTN by 2025.

I got a bit confused here, it turns out they are just switching off the PSTN, so if you still want a telephone service you will be provided with a VOIP router which will use ASDL over the copper line.

Sponsored Links
4 pair cw1308 is 60p a metre,

https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-white-4-pair-8-core-unshielded-telephone-cable-50m-drum/794jy

ADSL signal quality can be affected if the ADSL is carried along CAT5 or CAT6 cable due to the mis match between CW1308 and CAT5 or CAT6.

In most installations there is no noticeable affect but sometimes there is. About 2 miles of CW1308 ( equivalent ) from the exchange to house and then a few metres of internal CAT5 to the router / modem resulted in slow broadband ( suspected to be many repeated packets ). Replaced the CAT5 with CW1308 and broadband speed more than doubled.

I got a bit confused here, it turns out they are just switching off the PSTN, so if you still want a telephone service you will be provided with a VOIP router which will use ASDL over the copper line.

I understand the VOIP, but I am still lost about how it will affect me and my setup, with a set of modern wireless phones. We presently have fibre to the box at the end of the street, then copper from that to my NTE5. We also have virgin fibre outlet at the end of my drive.

Will they be bringing (another) fibre to my door, then a new modem, into which my existing phones will plug - or something else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back